What is best practice for shared projects?

According to this page:

Once you create a working file, it's recommended that you continue using it until the project is complete. You can create multiple working files for a given project file (with different names); however, any given layer or object in the project can be checked out to only one working file at a time.

But I've also heard that it's best to treat working files as disposable and regularly re-start by opening from the project file.

I would have though it best to make sure to commit at the end of the day anyway. At that point, there ought to be no difference, but I imagine it would be better than risk people working on 'old' drawings, unless you ensure everybody regularly updates/reverts the file. 

FWIW, we typically create one working file per user and keep it throughout the project.

However, if there are any quirks, we are quick to delete and recreate a working file.

We find it is better to check out Layers rather than a bunch of individual objects.

Finally, we Save and Commit as often as is reasonable, not just at the end of the day. 

Bart

• Like 1
12 hours ago, BartHays said:

Finally, we Save and Commit as often as is reasonable

Of course. "End of day" commits would be the absolute minimum.

That said, what is your reasoning for using the same working file throughout a project? We're still in flux about the process, but we've been opening from project file every morning and overwriting the working file, on the theory there should be no uncommitted changes.

There is no sophisticated reasoning in why we keep a working file other than you already have it, and it works ( usually) 

On the other hand, sometimes I do not complete a task at the end of a day and I would like to come to some resolution before I share it with the other folks working on the project. So, my working file is a bit of a sandbox to play in until I am ready to commit. 

Bart

• Like 1