Schematic View Problems

Hello community!
I have a theater space with box booms stage left and right, and a balcony rail and ceiling pipe that exist on top of each other.
I am trying to find a good way to draft these going forward so I have a good file to send to guest designers, and I think schematic views are the best way to do that, but I have a few questions.

-When I delete a light off of the Schematic View 2D pipe, the light on the original hang pipe stays there. Do these not stay in sync? I tried updating all schematic views and that didn't help. When I delete the lighting instrument off the original 3d pipe, it deletes off of the schematic view, but this won't be easy to do when lights are stacked on top of each other (the whole reason I want to use schematic views).

-I would love the original hang pipe and light fixtures to display as 3d objects or a shaded object rather than their 2D view, so it's easier to delineate between the schematic view hang pipe which should be modified, and the original pipes drafted on top of each other.

-Should I be using the ladder pipe tool for the box boom application? Does that apply to the balcony rail/ceiling pipe as well?

I very much appreciate any help! Thank you!

Screenshot 2024-02-15 at 8.33.19 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-02-15 at 8.31.44 PM.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
On 2/15/2024 at 11:48 PM, jloganthomas said:

When I delete a light off of the Schematic View 2D pipe, the light on the original hang pipe stays there

They should stay in sync. Can you share a sample file?

I would love the original hang pipe and light fixtures to display as 3d objects or a shaded object rather than their 2D view,

Explore Design Layer Viewports instead. aka, DLVP. You can have any view you wish.

Should I be using the ladder pipe tool for the box boom application? Does that apply to the balcony rail/ceiling pipe as well

If the booms have static sidearms, you could build them as a rigging object and hang lights, etc. The lights would land on the floor first and then you raise them to the appropriate heights to match the sidearms.

Have you watched @markdd's YouTube video? He shows both booms with sidearms and a system of multi-level catwalks with balconies as lighting positions shown in schematic views.