URGENT - Equipment Summary Tool Position Sort Issues

HilZ

Question

Hello,

First time using 24 after extensively using the Summary Tool for I dont know how many years.

I have a 'conceptual' drawing. My worklfow has always been (in this conceptual stage where hanging positions do not matter or are too stringent a 'concept' to use at this point), plot where I need to. At this stage I do not draw in positions or anything similar, but I still need to 'count' by positions or area or something like that.

Previously, I could tag all the lighting devices with anything in the position field (or many other fields), and then that would work fine in the summary tool. 

Now, the only way a position shows up is if i create a hanging position (which i don't want to do, I don't want to associate anything with a hanging position at this point - I just want to use that as a dummy). It seems the only way to sort is by layers and nothing else. I simply can not create 10000's of positions for this work only to the delete them and recreate them when I have a better idea.

It's really frustrating this does not work the way it always has - and there is zero information anywhere about how to get it to work without assigning fixtures to a position. 

Please let me know how I can get back to the original functionality of this tool and sort by position without creating a position. 

Otherwise - what is the *NEW AND IMPROVED* way to do this?

1 answer to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
1 hour ago, HilZ said:

Previously, I could tag all the lighting devices with anything in the position field (or many other fields), and then that would work fine in the summary tool.

Hello HilZ,

Would you please share an example file showing your workflow in 2023? It will be helpful to our coders to figure out enhancements for the new version of the tool to match your workflow.

If I understand your workflow correctly, the new tool's filtering system will not be helpful at the moment. However, I have a suggestion to hold you over until the filtering will work as you remember. A worksheet report that can be updated (recalculated) as you progress in your design work. I've attached a sample. Import the worksheet into your drawing and recalculate. You should end up with all of your lights shown if you have anything entered in the position field.

I work the same way as you but use the Purpose and Channel fields to keep track of my design ideas. As I add lights, my list grows and keeps count for me.

Thanks, Scott

Count by positions worksheet.vwx