How to create a shared Favorites or Workgroup file?

I have a custom favorites file that has everything that we'll be using in our office. As of right now we each have the favorites file stored locally and every time a change is made we have to send a new copy to each other. We have a shared OneDrive folder we use to store and pull files from but i'm trying to learn how to setup our favorites file in the cloud or as a workgroup folder where we're pulling from the same file in the RM and if either of us makes a change it automatically updates. I've done some research and I don't fully understand and I don't want to do something wrong. So if anybody has the same setup and can point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it. 

I would check the VW documentation first, they are pretty clear abt workgroup folders (which is what you want).

The file structure is going to be the same as each user's preference folder, which in the pc world is in appdata.  You can find the location when you edit VW preferences and look at the "user folder" section.  Bad things can happen if you don't keep the folder layout the same as your user folder layout, so you are basically copying the whole thing and putting it on a cloud or server for everyone to access, and renaming the top folder something like "workgroup folder."  

Everyone needs to add that new folder using their VW preferences, user folder dialog, then restart their software.  The workgroup will show up in the resource manager, and you will see any files that are not the default files in your user folders. 

Your library folder is going to be where you put your favorite models and such.  Everyone will have access to it so you can:

-reference in an object, which will update if others update the original

-import the object, which will be your own copy and not affect the original

-open the file directly from the resource manager, make changes and save it, thus updating everyone's referenced objects if you changed them.

You can also put plugins into the plugin folder, which can be very helpful if you have a field machine and an office machine, as they will get their plugins from the workgroup folder instead of the user folder.  

Hope that helps!

• Like 2