Snapping to linework in hatches? or hatch exploding?

ArvLin

Question

Is there a way to snap to linework in hatches? or is there a way we can explode the hatch like you can in AutoCAD? We often receive CAD files of RCPs that we import as backgrounds for our work (lighting design), whenever wood ceiling board hatches are included, the origin point often shifts and we're unable to snap to the linework. Some projects want us to align our lighting on the wood boards or seams and not being able to snap to the linework makes that impossible! We usually have to ask that they explore the hatches on their end and resend so we can work with the lines rather than a hatch/fill. The process is really cumbersome and a bit unprofessional for us. Any advice? I've scoured these forums and it seems to be a common problem.. I'd love a solution! I'm going on ten years of doing this... Thanks for your help.

1 answer to this question

The Modify > Hatch... command will create a 'non-associative' hatch that is a load of linework in a Group. I'm not sure if this will help you though. The Grouped linework is a separate entity placed over the top of the object used as the basis for the command. So in your case, you'd remove the hatch from your object then run the command to replace it with a non-associative version of the same hatch over the top. But perhaps this is essentially what's happening when you go back to the person who created the original CAD drawing so would save you having to ask them to do it...?

• Like 1