Please Help

Kell

Hello, After 7 years with Structure Studios Ive spent countless hours comparing and researching what Software I want to switch over too.  I'm fascinated by Vectorworks, but I'm concerned of the learning curve.  I love Lumion realistic vantage but they don't offer 2D and that is vital for my business as well.  I would love some of your input.  I want to take commit asap and devote this next week of holiday to dive deep into a software.  I run my business The Render Firm from the SS software.... but unfortunatley their integrity and business ethics have forced me to commit elsewhere.  Thank you so much- Kell Caruk  

My 2 cents for what it's worth. I almost entirely use VW as a 2D tool (except for some large earthworks models and some contour work), it does produce nice sharp graphics and with a little care small-ish .pdfs, and arguably the best tool to produce page layouts and it's having a built-in spreadsheet make it unique in CAD afaik - saving a lot of manual copying and errors (Rhino is getting closer though).

I see that SS may be perceived as a problem, but no large modern company is going to be even remotely squeaky clean, it's the nature of late-stage Capitalism - Lobbyist Wars and the Development of BIM Medium article on VW history - no ethics there at all. imo stay with what is already working for you. Also look at threads about VW2024, that should be enough to make anyone pause. 

Edited by unearthed
  • Like 2

@Kell - it’s not clear from your question what line of work you are in. Landscape design, pool design, architectural, interiors? Knowing what kind of work product you need to produce might enable others to help you figure out if Vw is a good fit for you or not.

Dedicating only a holiday week to learn any complicated software package (like Vw) is not enough, in my opinion.

If you haven’t found it already, take a look at the Vw University portal. There are a bunch of videos which could get you started, one particular course is titled ‘Getting Started: The Basics’.

VW University: Getting Started, The Basics

Edited by rDesign
  • Like 2
On 12/29/2023 at 5:05 PM, rDesign said:

@Kell - it’s not clear from your question what line of work you are in. Landscape design, pool design, architectural, interiors? Knowing what kind of work product you need to produce might enable others to help you figure out if Vw is a good fit for you or not.

Dedicating only a holiday week to learn any complicated software package (like Vw) is not enough, in my opinion.

If you haven’t found it already, take a look at the Vw University portal. There are a bunch of videos which could get you started, one particular course is titled ‘Getting Started: The Basics’.

VW University: Getting Started, The Basics

Thank you for your message.   Landscape design, pool design, architectural, interiors all of the above.  I decided to make the switch to VW and I'm thick into the university now and really finding it informative and I'm gaining momentum for sure.  Also, definitely need more time with it but grateful I've had so many years elsewhere.  Thanks again! 

• Like 1