pad modifiers

mattryan

Hello All

I am developing a site and I have 2 different floor elevations and I am trying to use pad modifiers for the DTM.

At the junction of the 2 pads it generates some modified grading between the 2 levels but I would like to eliminate this as its within the building footprint.

How would I go about doing this so it has a sharp edge?

Thank you

Screen Shot 2023-12-11 at 3.04.29 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-12-11 at 3.04.41 PM.png

@mattryan seems like nobody has responded to your issue yet.

It is difficult to problem solve this sort of thing without actually having access to your file.

Could you, if the file is not too huge, upload the file, or upload a new file with just the site model and any pertinent data associated with the site model?

What version of VW are you using?  Resolving your issue becomes a lot easier in 2024 because there have been a lot of improvements over previous versions.

Also, judging from your screenshot the site model looks kind of rugged….sort of ‘spiky’ which happens if you don’t set the mesh crease angle to an appropriate angle setting. 

@mattryan Ok, thanks for the upload.  I will have a look and get back to you shortly.

Yeah, for site modeling, etc it would suggest you updating to 2024. Lots of improvements.

For example, I had a site model from a previous project I was helping someone with, just to use as an example for what you were trying to achieve. 

I did it in 2024 and in seconds I was able to more or less recreate what you were wanting to do 🙂

Vertical sides where the pads intersected!

I will open your file in 2022 and see what I can do.

Here is a screenshot from my little example file using 2024.

I placed some concrete slabs where the cuts were, but just ignore those 🙂

Screenshot2023-12-12at5_48_09AM.thumb.png.45922689ff542c5e8e8a1f70da7c0dab.png

@mattryan so sorry!!!  I had to put out some fires, so I apologize for the delay.

Anyway....cutting to the chase:

1) you will be better served if you use "pad with retaining edge", as opposed to just a pad.  

Reason being is using that option will give you a much nice vertical face.

That said, with VW 2022 you CAN'T OVERLAP YOUR PADS!) You can simply just nudge them over like 1/16" our so so they dont touch.  

I know you are working in meters, but just use something similar like 2 mm. IF you don't do this your site model will show all kinds of 'conflicts' in the OIP.

You will need to practice this a bit but the Pad with retaining edge allows you to 'pull up or down' a top or bottom edge of the pad, and you need to do this in an isometric view so you can actually see in realtime how much your are moving the various edges.

Again, in 2024 pads can overlap!! 

2) I showed a few of your slabs in the screenshot noting the vertical faces to a COPY of your site model.  I didn't touch the original. There is some voodoo with your site model, because it is not showing the Mesh Site Model edges....just to top surface within is not normal 😞

I placed some concrete on the top slab and some fill dirt on one of the lower pads, and a sort of grass and flower texture on the rest of the site model surface, just for grins 🙂 

Zoom in and you can seee some of you very subtle pad elevation heights on the lower portion of the site model.

Anyway, again, sorry for the delay getting back to you.

Screenshot2023-12-12at11_46_29AM.thumb.png.6d9969c3242911c27463f85c197caefe.png

I also attached an actual 2022 file where I demonstrated some of what I was alluding to, with the vertical faces, etc.So study that a bit.

Hopefully your head won't explode from my lack of explaining this very well 🙂

survey-Kev.vwx

• Like 1