2D Objects Converting to 3D

CW2020

Mind you this is occurring in VWX2022, but I'm working on a file where (from what I can observe) most all objects are 2D, Layer Plane, set to Top/Plan, and 2D Plan. But ~20% of the time the objects I create (from linework-to-symbols-to-text) convert to 3D objects and changes the view to orthogonal. Is this condition familiar to anyone? I thought it may be a legacy 2d issue, but welcome any input.

Both. This also occurs (again, at the 20% range) when I simply group several items even; double checking all items are 2D items and that I'm on Layer Plane/Top/Plan/2D Plan. One or more will fly off to a different location. I'll locate the item. Then I'll select the item(s) and they are now 3D. This sometimes happens with symbols (which I see potential issues), but it also happens with something such as text or a polygon I just created and confirmed were 2D.

It's a file setting (I didn't create the file). Because I can copy these items into a new blank file, and all is well. 

Edited by CW2020

What I can see happening is that the "wide flange" object disappears when you put it into a group.

It looks like you are putting it into a group that's on a different layer from the one it's in initially.

Might that layer be set up with a different "scale"?

Can't say much about the "things converting to 3d" bacause we can't see that happening in your screen recording.

• Like 1

The layer's the same, but good observation. I've gone through this exercise previously, but couldn't find the cause nor fix. I infer the file was copied over and then set up with no Saved Views, so I've gotten in the bad habit of going in-and-out of Viewports which I now think is the root of the issue. Thanks for your input though!