Vision Video is a solid color

I'm trying to create an LED screen for my school project and after I assign it a video source, instead of playing the video, it just plays a solid color that's related to the video. Not sure how to fix this but help would be appreciated

The object that this is happening on is an extruded rectangle (cube)

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

It is important to "prep" the VWX properly before exporting an MVR for Vision. Video in particular can require steps you may not be performing.

All that Vision does is replace the pixels of the RW Texture applied in VW with pixels from the video. So, the first thing is making sure you have a RW Texture assigned to the object which will playback video.

One thing that I find very helpful is the built-in ColorBar RW Textures, as these come in various aspect ratios. So, if the video you are going to playback in Vision is 4x3 apply the 4x3 ColorBars RW Texture to the object. If the video you are going to playback in Vision is 16x9, apply the 16x9 ColorBars RW Texture to the object. While you are in VW, you can "imagine" the video replacing the RW Texture. So, make sure the RW Texture in VW is scaled and offset the way you'd like.

Once all of this is done, you should be able to export the MVR to Vision. And, once in Vision, you should see that the video frames from your source are replacing the RW ColorBar Texture. This should give you the result you're trying to achieve.

26 minutes ago, bbudzon said:

It is important to "prep" the VWX properly before exporting an MVR for Vision. Video in particular can require steps you may not be performing.

All that Vision does is replace the pixels of the RW Texture applied in VW with pixels from the video. So, the first thing is making sure you have a RW Texture assigned to the object which will playback video.

One thing that I find very helpful is the built-in ColorBar RW Textures, as these come in various aspect ratios. So, if the video you are going to playback in Vision is 4x3 apply the 4x3 ColorBars RW Texture to the object. If the video you are going to playback in Vision is 16x9, apply the 16x9 ColorBars RW Texture to the object. While you are in VW, you can "imagine" the video replacing the RW Texture. So, make sure the RW Texture in VW is scaled and offset the way you'd like.

Once all of this is done, you should be able to export the MVR to Vision. And, once in Vision, you should see that the video frames from your source are replacing the RW ColorBar Texture. This should give you the result you're trying to achieve.

How do you insert the texture? I cannot find any docs on it

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
24 minutes ago, NaurItsA said:

How do you insert the texture? I cannot find any docs on it

I just want to make sure you understand that everything should be set up in VW such that no work is needed in Vision. If you set up VW properly, all you need to do with Vision is open the MVR. So, I am assuming that you are not asking about inserting textures in Vision as that is a step which should not be required.

If you are asking how to insert a texture in the VW application, there are probably dozens of ways to do so. I would highly recommend you checkout the help articles, vectorworks university, and/or training videos.

I tried to find the "birds eye view" of textures in the VW Help. This should get you started and hopefully allow you the freedom to explore the VW Help to determine which technique you find easiest or most suitable to your workflow.

https://app-help.vectorworks.net/2024/eng/VW2024_Guide/Textures/Creating_textures.htm

EDIT: This link *may* be more helpful as I think it covers the application of textures and the various ways it can be done.

https://app-help.vectorworks.net/2024/eng/VW2024_Guide/Textures/Applying_and_mapping_textures.htm

• Like 1