What's the point of the "Mark" field under Data in Edit Wall Style?

Christiaan

Question

10 answers to this question

If 'WT2' is the Mark you want the Walls in the drawing to have + those Wall instances use the 'EF_25-Wall_Type_2' style, then it should just be a case of editing the style + exiting again, making sure that 'Replace Data' is enabled, then all the instances in the drawing will be replaced with the new version of the style + the 'W1' mark should be replaced with the 'WT2' mark.

You can edit Wall instances using the 'Wall Data...' button in the OIP + in this way, have different data between the wall instances + the wall style as per your screenshot. But editing the style as per description above should overwrite those changes.

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

If 'WT2' is the Mark you want the Walls in the drawing to have + those Wall instances use the 'EF_25-Wall_Type_2' style, then it should just be a case of editing the style + exiting again, making sure that 'Replace Data' is enabled, then all the instances in the drawing will be replaced with the new version of the style + the 'W1' mark should be replaced with the 'WT2' mark.

Oh man, thanks Tom. You're right, all I needed to do was edit and check "replace data"! Duh!

In fairness to myself I don't think we always had the "replace data" option did we? We used to be able to just change the Mark field in the Style and save.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Christiaan said:

In fairness to myself I don't think we always had the "replace data" option did we? We used to be able to just change the Mark field in the Style and save.

I'm not sure... I know in VW2022 it was 'Replace IFC data' then in VW2023 it became 'Replace data'. Plus we got the 'Wall Data...' button in the OIP + the little by style/by instance buttons next to the IFC fields in the Data tab... So perhaps it did behave differently in VW2022 in the way you say? It is definitely quite confusing how all the different settings interact with each other...

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Tom W. said:

I'm not sure... I know in VW2022 it was 'Replace IFC data' then in VW2023 it became 'Replace data'. Plus we got the 'Wall Data...' button in the OIP + the little by style/by instance buttons next to the IFC fields in the Data tab... So perhaps it did behave differently in VW2022 in the way you say? It is definitely quite confusing how all the different settings interact with each other...

Yeah I think we had "Replace IFC data" but the Mark field was independent of that at that point.

55 minutes ago, Christiaan said:

Yeah I think we had "Replace IFC data" but the Mark field was independent of that at that point.

I'm going to find it hard not to want to check this now! 🙂

But I think because the 'Mark' field has always been linked to IfcWallStandardCase > Pset_WallCommon > Reference, the likelihood is that 'Replace IFC Data' had the same effect then as 'Replace Data' does now...

There has been discussion elsewhere about bringing Walls (+ Slabs + Roofs) in line with other styled objects (Doors, Windows, etc) + being able to designate parameters as By Instance or By Style + do away with the whole replace object process. Then you'd just be able to make the 'Mark' parameter By Style + not do anything else.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Tom W. said:

being able to designate parameters as By Instance or By Style + do away with the whole replace object process. Then you'd just be able to make the 'Mark' parameter By Style + not do anything else.

Yes, actually, perhaps that was the problem. I'm so used to working with Styles with 'By Style' parameters.