Showing Roads in Site Models

_James

What is the best/easiest way to show roads in Site Models?

We often create site models from 2d DWG survey files that look like this:Screenshot2023-10-19at11_46_05.thumb.png.fd6f32a52fbc981bc7a298720fe9b937.png

From there it's easy to make a Site Model, I just add stake objects at the heights specified and run the "AEC-Terrain-Site Model from Survey Data" command which results in something like this:

Screenshot2023-10-19at11_47_09.thumb.png.b6736302289566511de55d29f1d2890d.png

From there however it doesn't clearly show the road which adds a lot of context to the model.

What is the best way to add the road? The series of "Roadway" tools? Site Modifiers? Whilst it needs to be accurate, it doesn't have to be to the millimetre, we're really just looking to include the shape of the road at the right level to site the building on the model better and make it easier to read the site.

Is this your road?:

Screenshot2023-10-19at11_47_09.thumb.png.b6736302289566511de55d29f1d2890d.png.cec655aee86318f919d49c1760d93737.png

I would use a Hardscape. First create a Site Modifier the shape of the road + with the elevations as per your survey data then create a Hardscape in Drape mode: this will make it conform to the modified Site Model surface. Give the Hardscape a border if you want to represent the pavement as well (in which case your Modifier would be the larger shape including the pavement). 

Edited by Tom W.

Thanks for the help @Tom W.! Looking much better now, although i've somehow lost the ability to upload pictures!

Which site modifier option do you recommend? I have used retaining edge but this gives a perfectly flat pad which isn't the case. It gives the right look but if there's a more accurate way to do it that would be worth knowing about.

Also, why not just use hardscape drape without the site modifier? Is this to get better control of the levels of the road?

Cool. You don't need to use a Modifier if you don't want to, you can just Drape the Hardscape over the existing Site Model if you're happy with the surface. I guess I assumed you'd make the road as a planar surface. I was thinking a Planar Pad modifier.

Path configuration Hardscape is another option see: 

• Like 3