Space Tool Problems

Sam Combs, AIA, NCARB

Question

I just noticed that there is something seriously wrong with the Space Tool.  When one inserts it in a room it has all the options work with it, finishes, etc.  When one tries to move it, it changes into a simple tag with none of the options, finishes, etc.   I've not had this problem before with earlier versions.

It’s something that needs to be corrected immediately by Vectorworks.

I've attached two screenshots that show the first Object Info with all the information and the second screen shot shows what happens when one tries to modify the Space and everything disappears.

I'm on Vectorworks 2024, Mac OS Sonoma 14.0.

Sam Combs, AIA, NCARB, Architect           

Combs & Combs, AIA, Architecture, Interiors & Art

7480 Upper O’Malley Road

Anchorage, Alaska 99507

Office Phone:  907-346-3990

Cell Phone:  907-250-4207

Web Site:  www.combsandcombsaia.com

Screenshot 2023-10-18 at 9.35.32 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-10-18 at 9.35.54 PM.png

11 answers to this question

In the second screenshot you have the Data Tag selected not the Space. In VW2023 (I think) they changed it so that Spaces use Data Tags instead of the built-in Space Tag which I think is an improvement. But it means there are two (or more) objects: the Space itself plus the associated Data Tag/s. So just make sure you have selected the Space. I think with the Data Tag selected you can right-click + there's an option to select the associated object i.e. the Space.

Thanks.  When I enter the Space it's fine unless I go to move it or modify it.  Then it changes to the Data tag when I try to modify it or move it and it loses all the settings.  That ain't right.  I don't know what's going on--I think it's a bug.

I've right clicked and gotten several options, but none that I need--see screenshot below.

I'm on Vectorworks 2024, Mac OS Sonoma 14.0.  What are you on?  Any other ideas?

Thanks.

Screenshot 2023-10-18 at 10.59.39 PM.png

This is in VW2024:

Space object selected:

Screenshot2023-10-19at09_04_23.thumb.png.1b03dd99b72405279975bc7b57a374ae.png

Data Tag object selected:

Screenshot2023-10-19at09_04_33.thumb.png.950bb3931b47d9c78c4611d22bff4c0c.png

Right click on Data Tag + select 'Select Linked Space':

Screenshot2023-10-19at09_05_01.thumb.png.81322b2d224102711016a3923e6a1e16.png

Or click on blue arrow + do the same:

Screenshot2023-10-19at09_05_16.thumb.png.a350cd21ccf7b05b097b5ee5e36685e9.png

2 hours ago, Sam Combs, AIA, NCARB said:

When I enter the Space it's fine unless I go to move it or modify it.  Then it changes to the Data tag when I try to modify it or move it and it loses all the settings. 

I am not experiencing any issues moving or modifying a Space or losing any settings. Perhaps you should post an example file with some clear steps to follow that demonstrate the problem...?

Edited by Tom W.
Wrong version VW

Tom, Again thanks for your assistance.  I didn't realize that the Space itself and the Data Tag had been separated by Vectorworks.  Now my issue is corrupted Room Finish Schedules.  

I have a question as to why Room Finish Schedules get so corrupted.  I’ve gotten the Spaces to work, but it throws in things like multiple Room Numbers & Names and has the word Custom repeated several times and has a couple of Room No’s that I don’t even have—240 & 243.  Where does this come from?  Are there hidden Spaces that give out this crap or something else?

This has been a continuing issue and it’s very difficult to solve.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

BRR-12-Room Fin. Schedule.pdf

1 hour ago, Sam Combs, AIA, NCARB said:

Any ideas?

You must have duplicate Spaces in the model. If you right-click on a database subrow (X.1, X.2, etc) + select 'Select Item' that particular Space will be selected in the drawing.

Also, if that is the preformatted report you can exclude particular Spaces from the worksheet by disabling 'Include on room finish schedule' in the OIP.

Edited by Tom W.

Tom, I remember one was able to do that in earlier versions but I'm not getting a "Select Item" in the right click pop up menu.  What I'm getting when I right click the opened Room Finish Schedule is the following:

Cut (grayed out)

Copy

Paste

Format Cells

Sort>Ascending

Descending

None

Summarize Items

Sum Values

Insert Image Function

Insert>Rows

Columns