Automate Socket Name from linked field or record

tk_

I am wondering if there is a way to generate  a socket name automatically, from either a formula, linked record 

For example, if I drop an adapter onto a device, over say an audio left and right channel, can I pass that name onto the adapter so that the connected line get correctly labeled. 

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi @tk_

I think it would be a bad idea to go renaming the sockets on an adapter depending on which device socket it is connected to because that breaks the modularity of the adapter as an object.

We use a concatenation of the device's socket name and the adapter socket name separated by a hyphen to designate an "adapted" socket. Shown in this way on the drawing, in the Circuit object info palette and in circuit reports. When you say "correctly labeled" what do you mean?

Conrad

image.png

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I have used the adapter tool to illustrate splitting a network cable for DMX over Cat.

image.thumb.png.d69054097494c6c3a810f3e2242591e4.png

I also use the ConnectCad devices to show patch panels; like below.

image.thumb.png.94aed0d5d5110b03e9dc4f42018b9b9c.png

When I drop the adapter over DMX 1A and DMX 1B, I was wondering if there was a way for the socket inside the adapter to take the name and remove the letter on the end. Similar to if you had output iPod L and iPod R, it could resolve it to be just iPod. As is stands I am making different instances of the adapter and just relabelling. 

Thank you