Auto Save (real auto save)

Joe Newell

Question

I need an auto save feature. Not this half assed effort we have so far, where it asks you whether you want to save and highlights the "no" key by default. What goods that? When I am rushing which I always am, I hit return and it doesn't save. and two minutes later it crashes and I lose everything. I want an auto save that actually saves the drawing to a temporary file that I can make the current drawing if I lose everything in a crash. Autocad's had it for eons. Autocad saves a backup as a .sv$ file so you don't overwrite the drawing you are working in until you are ready.

5 answers to this question

Thank you Katie.

I forgot to mention I was on 8.5.2 though you may remember from my numerous other rants. I didn't ask to see if this issue has been addressed in the latest version.

I also didn't really say what I meant by Real Auto Save which doesn't ask if you want to save but just goes ahead and does it, hence the temporary SV$ file so you don't overwrite.

Another thing I liked from Autocad is a .bak file system where each time you save your drawing, Autocad, saves the old version to a file with a .bak extension. Simple. You don't have to save as a new file name if there is something you want to preserve in the old one. It only worked for one previous version of a file but that helped loads.

Any chance of something similar appearing in VW?

I'd also like to say I think VW got it bang on with the classes and layers system. Something Autocad only got half right and only in a convoluted way with Model Space and Paper Space. Don't ever change it.

I guess this is all heading in the direction of a hybrid program which uses the best bits of each program and discards all the dross.

Other key points:

- 3d, easy in Autocad (fun even)(easy as x y z)- 3d, incomprehensible in Vectorworks.- shortcut keys. AC has the option to include 2 keystrokes which means you can shortcut more commands and actually give them shortcut keys that make sense. In VW I am limited to single keys which once that letter is taken I can use no more. Maybe I want to use TR for trim and TX for text , for instance.or RT for rotate and RE for rectangle etc etc etc.

Speaking of which, understanding that the workspaces are fully custimizable, why do the default workspaces that VW comes with, have such nonsensical shortcuts. It is easier to remember and learn if your shortcuts have some relation to the command they represent.Mousing off the menus is too slow, I would rather have a shortcut for each and every command. If they made sense it would be a snap to learn them.

Any comments?

Joe As the "real" AutoSave still doesn't work in VW 9.5.1, the other key points have been addressed. 3d modeling is easier than ever and way cool with the new 3d power pack workspace. If you want to see some examples you can you go to 3dpowerpack.com. I have to say it's very easy to learn. I picked it up in no time at all which says something. We have gotten alot of feedback from users about this introduction and it's been nothing but good. Alot of people prefer this to AutoCad now.

The shortcut keys issue was addressed in VW 9.x also. You can edit the workspace so you can set up your own menus and tool palette layouts. It also allows you to set your own shortcuts. Of course we have alot assigned to the tools and commands, but you can easily change it and you have a variety of keyboard combinations now.

You might want to think about contacting Sales to get a Demo CD sent to you. I think you might like what you see!

[ 05-06-2002: Message edited by: Katie ]