Electrical 2D and 3D plan

Sade16

Question

My studio is looking to use Vectorworks for both 2D and 3D plans. Would I have to assign a 3D symbol to all of my existing 2D ones? or are there easier ways to put sockets, switches and lights into a plan?

I've attached a screenshot of what the plans usually look like but these are only in 2D.

Screenshot 2023-09-29 at 14.14.35.png

3 answers to this question

Not sure what you mean. You can have 2D-only symbols, 3D-only symbols + hybrid symbols that contain both 2D + 3D geometry. I presume the electrical symbols in your screenshot are 2D-only symbols. If you edit them you can add 3D geometry to the 3D component which will convert them into hybrid symbols. Likewise, if you have a 3D-only symbol you can add geometry to the 2D component + in this way convert it into a hybrid symbol as well.

Right-click on a symbol + select 'Edit 2D Components' or 'Edit 3D Component' + you will enter an edit mode for the symbol. Use the Component Edit palette to choose the component you want to edit:

Screenshot2023-10-02at10_56_42.png.e5bbb300f618b645f646c2b2f4325fef.png

A 2D-only symbol will only have a Top component:

Screenshot2023-10-02at10_56_51.png.9b324489042d997bf59ff673c2be312d.png

Click on '3D' to add 3D geometry + turn it into a hybrid symbol. Now when you insert your electrical symbol you will see the 2D geometry in Top/Plan views + the 3D geometry in 3D views/elevations. As the component edit drop-down suggests, you can add further 2D geometry for other views as well if desired, plus you can control how much detail is seen depending on the detail level selected for the viewport!

See: https://app-help.vectorworks.net/2024/eng/VW2024_Guide/Symbols/Concept_ 2D_components_for_symbol_definitions_and_plug-in.htm