Unable to change the orientation of a sheet layer and bring the grid back

Eadig

Hello

I would like to change the orientation of my sheet layer so the sheet appears longer sideways.

I tried to rotate it using the Rotate Plan menu option only to turn the desing around.

While I was at it, I also accidentally ended up either hiding/deleting the grid as shown in the attached image, and resetting the grid settings wouldn't restore the grid.

As my search on Google/Youtube didn't point me anywhere, please advise me how to change the orientation of the sheet layer and how to make the grid visible again.

I'm using VW on MacBook Pro 2023 M2 Max.

Thanks in advance.

Screenshot 2023-09-19 at 9.08.07.png

Edited by Eadig
21 minutes ago, Jeff Prince said:

To change the sheet orientation, you need to set the print/page setup as Landscape instead of portrait.

The help menu has a good explanation of turning the grid on and off and button and/or menu used to do it.  I’m away from a computer, otherwise ide screenshot it for you.

Thanks for the tip. I managed to change the orientation of both the sheet layer and drafting plan by chaning the Page Setup settings.

I tried searching for how-tos concerning the grid visibility in the Help, but still found no clues (Just in case, I also verified that the Grid Settings were set to defaults).

Screenshot 2023-09-19 at 9.47.29.png

Edited by Eadig
4 hours ago, Eadig said:

I tried searching for how-tos concerning the grid visibility in the Help, but still found no clues (Just in case, I also verified that the Grid Settings were set to defaults).

Screenshot 2023-09-19 at 9.47.29.png

You have 'Show Grid' enabled so it should be visible? If not perhaps try zooming in because depending on the grid size you won't see it at certain zoom levels.

The easiest way to control grid visibility is to set up 'Show Grid' as a Quick Pref on the Tool Bar. You can also then see at a glance whether it's enabled or not.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Tom W. said:

You have 'Show Grid' enabled so it should be visible? If not perhaps try zooming in because depending on the grid size you won't see it at certain zoom levels.

The easiest way to control grid visibility is to set up 'Show Grid' as a Quick Pref on the Tool Bar. You can also then see at a glance whether it's enabled or not.

Yes, the Show grid option is ticked as shown in the screenshot above.

Changing the zoom level does not make the grid reappear but switching to the 3D view does for some reason.

3 hours ago, Jeff Prince said:

I think it's your grid size being small and your object being large.

Your grid size is set to 13...

13 what, mm?

The Grid Settings don't show any units for the size and pressing Reset to Defaults results in the same.

Is there a way to check the units?

59 minutes ago, Jeff Prince said:

look at the units set for your drawing and that will tell you.

I changed the imperial units to the metric equivalent right at the start and didn't change anyting else since then.

Just in case I l checked the units set as they are shown in the attachment. Apparently there's nothing that can change the scale of the grid?

Screenshot 2023-09-20 at 13.19.03.png

21 minutes ago, Jeff Prince said:

Yes, it does in fact.  Pretty sure you either have your grid off or it is set too small to see.  You could post the file here and end the mystery.

I don't know why but for some reason the vwx file is over 40 mb in size.

I tried to reduce the size with no luck, so I'm attaching it here all the same.

wonky-grid.vwx

36 minutes ago, Eadig said:

That means the company is using an illegal copy and probably doesn't know it is. I'll let them know about this.

But still the problem persists, so any fixes available?

Bit hard to help when we can't see the file. Likewise tech support aren't going to help you if it was created on an illegal copy of VW.

Incidentally, I hardly ever turn my grid on as I've never found it particularly useful. I don't know whether it's my monitor (5K) but the snap grid (dots) is virtually impossible to see. 

7 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

Bit hard to help when we can't see the file. Likewise tech support aren't going to help you if it was created on an illegal copy of VW.

Incidentally, I hardly ever turn my grid on as I've never found it particularly useful. I don't know whether it's my monitor (5K) but the snap grid (dots) is virtually impossible to see. 

Thanks for trying that out. As the last resort, I copied the design layers into a new layer and copied its design elements onto a new blank file and the problem was fixed... Nothing else had worked.

Screenshot 2023-09-20 at 17.20.30.png