Wall Mark By Style

Tom Klaber

Question

I really need the Wall Mark to be controlled by style.  It seems right now - if I change the wall type - the Wall Mark does not update - leaving the tag reading incorrectly.  This obviously negates one of the biggest benefits of using styles is not having to manually check all the tags. 

Am I doing something wrong?  Is there another field I should be using?

5 answers to this question

8 minutes ago, Tom Klaber said:

I really need the Wall Mark to be controlled by style.  It seems right now - if I change the wall type - the Wall Mark does not update - leaving the tag reading incorrectly.  This obviously negates one of the biggest benefits of using styles is not having to manually check all the tags. 

Am I doing something wrong?  Is there another field I should be using?

Make sure you have 'Replace data' checked in the Wall Replacement dialog when you swap the Wall.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Tom Klaber said:

Still would be great if you could chose for the Mark to be a by style attribute if desired.

It is by style. But edits to the style take effect by replacing the Wall instances in the drawing. The same with Slabs + Roofs. And in all these cases you have check-boxes which allow you to transfer all of the settings over or leave some of them as they are. So just make sure 'Replace data' is enabled by default + all Walls in the drawing will always respect the changes to the style.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Tom W. said:

It is by style. But edits to the style take effect by replacing the Wall instances in the drawing. The same with Slabs + Roofs. And in all these cases you have check-boxes which allow you to transfer all of the settings over or leave some of them as they are. So just make sure 'Replace data' is enabled by default + all Walls in the drawing will always respect the changes to the style.

I mostly get that - but the Mark data is not really by style - there is a mechanism to transfer the data - but if you do not have that box checked - you could have 2 walls with the same style with different marks.  If there was a true by style control of the mark - you could elect to eliminate that failure point.  It is easy for me to imagine that somebody in the office does not have that checked - (despite the email I will send this morning) - and replaces the walls - not realizing that the tags will not update. 

I think you're right. It would be better if Walls, Slabs, Roofs, etc were proper styles where each parameter could be individually set to be by style or by instance, rather than the current arrangement where most things are by style by default + can't be changed + others you have the choice over but only via checkboxes in the Replacement dialog.

• Like 1