Linking another polygon's area or line length to the Space object's "net area" or "additional data" parameter in the OIP

Is there a way to link another polygon's area or line length to the Space object's "net area" or "additional data" parameter in the OIP?

This would be really helpful for area calculations and area exclusions that the municipalities usually want to see on the floor plans. 

For example:

Unit 201 has a gross floor area of 567.48 sqft.

There is an in-suite storage room exclusion of 27sqft (drawn as another polygon)

Currently, I am entering this exclusion manually in the additional data parameter (AreaPerOccupant) in the space object OIP

Then I subtract this area from the gross floor area to get the net area in the database header. 

Note:

This is the only parameter that returns "sqft" as data in the worksheet database.

All of the "Additional info" fields return a text data, and I don't see a way to change the data type

If I can change the data type for the "additional info" fields, this would allow for more calculation options in the worksheet database headers. 

image.thumb.png.7bafaac467652623367bf373d368b142.png

image.thumb.png.215125d42a3133054a6f3b6d27935b7e.pngimage.thumb.png.8533a17644677519124b30d87e891546.png

No way to "link" as you are requesting that I know of.

The thread below offers a script that will give you a worksheet showing the field type of every parameter field of a PIO.

All of the additional parameters are defined as text and there is no reasonable way for a user to change that. 

You can convert text fields to numbers using the Value() function, but not if there is non-numeric text stored in the field. So Value(19.09) will work, Value(19.09 sq.ft.) will not.  If all the text fields are formatted identically, it may be possible to extract just the numeric part to use in Value() using the Mid/Right/Left/Substring functions to remove the non-numeric parts.

Or you could attach a customer record that would store the exclude data as a number. Or pick one of the numeric typed parameter fields you don't need to use for the subtraction area.

Or if might be possible to write a worksheet script that would give you the area of objects in a specific class or with a specific record attached that overlap the Space object.

It depends on how often you need this to determine what would be best for you.

2 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

You can convert text fields to numbers using the Value() function, but not if there is non-numeric text stored in the field. So Value(19.09) will work, Value(19.09 sq.ft.) will not.  If all the text fields are formatted identically, it may be possible to extract just the numeric part to use in Value() using the Mid/Right/Left/Substring functions to remove the non-numeric parts.

Thanks Pat, this worked great. Just being able to change the text to value helps a lot. The non-numeric text such as the unit marker can be added in the suffix in the cells so it's not an issue. 

2 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

Or if might be possible to write a worksheet script that would give you the area of objects in a specific class or with a specific record attached that overlap the Space object.

If this is possible, it'll greatly help speed up entering all the areas for each space manually.