Import Tree Survey Tool - Extra Fields

I know there are a couple of extra fields that can be set for data when importing a tree survey using the import survey function. 

However I've got a really extensive survey, and would like to add some additional fields. Is this possible at the moment, or is this a wishlist feature?! 

Hi @Katarina Ollikainen - it's four extra fields at the moment really, Field 7, Field 8, Field 9, Field 10. Though I appreciate that some others could be re-allocated despite their name! 

I've got a tree survey with 32 fields in, and I just hate omitting data! 

It would also be good if we were able to re-name the existing fields, particularly if we are 're-allocating' their content. 

I want to use the output as part of an online ESRI Storymap... keen to try out the 'direct from Vectorworks' binding functionality on a live project! But as the client / public will be able to query the data, we'd need to be able to have field names which accurately represent the data content.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@jeff prince - The crux (as I see it) is that you must have the fields inside the tool for the data to land on when performing the Existing tree import, instead of adding the info manually - there's no geometry to attach the record to as the trees are created at the import. It's the chicken and egg scenario 😁.

Otherwise, the attached record is perfect.

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Katarina Ollikainen said:

@jeff prince - The crux (as I see it) is that you must have the fields inside the tool for the data to land on when performing the Existing tree import, instead of adding the info manually - there's no geometry to attach the record to as the trees are created at the import. It's the chicken and egg scenario 😁.

Otherwise, the attached record is perfect.

Couldn't that be scripted by using the tree id number as an identifier of the object and then mapping the data from the tree report to the custom record?

What about connecting to the tree inventory as an outside database to populate records?

I don't know how to that, but it seems like something a computer should be able to do 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, my brain must have been on holiday already when responding to this post - the solution is so obvious.

As long as the 'Add to Record' is checked, the data will go into the record attached to the tree object.

You don't have to do anything fancy; it just works.

The only thing is that it's not visible in the Shape pane in the Object Info Palette but in the Data pane.

• Like 1

Hi, my brain must have been on holiday already when responding to this post - the solution is so obvious.

As long as the 'Add to Record' is checked, the data will go into the record attached to the tree object.

You don't have to do anything fancy; it just works.Screenshot 2023-08-02 at 13.35.49.png

The only thing is that it's not visible in the Shape pane in the Object Info Palette but in the Data pane.

• Like 4