Existing Trees - Customising Fields

Hi guys,

Do you know if Existing Tree objects have a config file can be edited, saved and transferred across VW versions?

I would like to be able to change the default settings of available fields with drop down menus. Some parameters have the Custom option - which is great - whilst some optional fields don't - which is a bummer, because the fields themselves are useful (e.g form, vigour, structure etc.).

Another thing is whether it is possible to attach a script or another way to automatically generate shadows of existing trees? The Massing Model object can have one. In the UK, the British Standard defines how tree shadows can be indicatively drafted and such shapes should be super-easy to generate automatically.

Many thanks in advance for your thoughts.

• 2 months later...

@Adam Robinson, many thanks for that - it is a good start. I have a small problem with this Marionette though:

1. The script uses the wrong value as height - it gets the height of the 2D object (tree 2D projection geometry) rather than the ET symbol's height parameter. I can't find a node that extracts that info.

2. The script uses the wrong value as centre - it gets the geometric centre of the 2D object (tree 2D projection geometry) rather than the ET symbol's insertion point. I think I managed to overcome that with Get Symbol Info node.

3. Rather than arc it would be much more useful if the script returned a closed polyline resulting from a section of a circle where the radius = ET height, centred at ET insertion point. Or a polyline made of two straight sections and an arc section between them.

I have never done a Marionette before so it would take me ages to create the right network on my own. Can I have some help with this (or a ready article, if that's not too cheeky 🙈).

Edited by Michal Zarzecki