Create section viewport and create viewport from clip cube not working

Amber Hine

Question

So I seem unable to create a viewport with a clip cube.... I am selecting a red face then right clicking and trying from the view menu, and I seem to be getting one of two things- something that looks like an empty viewport with just a viewport data tag, or something so large it can't render- it shouldn't be larger much than the sheet if it is properly following the the clip cube bounds- but I have too zoom out so far to see the viewports extents that I can't see the sheet outline anymore...

What am I doing wrong? 

The site fits 1:5000 on A1 as a top plan view, I am trying to create a partial clip cube of the site @1:100.

It has multiple site models in it- could that be the problem- the section line tool seems happy to deal with it....

I have the shaded render mode selected. 

When propmted- one of the two methods above asks, the other doesnt, I select display with clip cube...

it seems to work with a simple cube in a new file...

image.thumb.png.d95c3e5c1463de2782d95cc7360ce4ea.png

image.png.a2aef31944f20f7adc1dec6d1042d9f1.png

7 answers to this question

I got the following Section Viewport by highlighting the front face of the click cube, right clicking on the highlight and choosing Create Section Viewport. It was kind of hard to select in the Saved View because the plane was parallel to the screen. It also works if you are in a 3D view which makes it easier to see which face you are selecting.

BUT, I think the real problem is that your drawing is too far from the internal origin.  Your main objects are 300,000 m "East" and 20,000 m "North" of the internal origin. You also see to have a few "construction" objects that have gotten offset about that far or farther to the "West" both "North" and "South".  I think you may also be 20,000m in the Z direction from the origin also.

Recommendation 1:  Turn on all your layer and classes and make sure your Layer and Class Options are both set to Show/Snap/Modify Others.  Make sure the clip cube is off. Go to Top/Plan. Select All. View Menu:Zoom:Fit to Objects.  You should zoom very far out.  Click to deselect everything Marquee drag in the extreme corners of the drawing window (especially is you can see a kind of dot indicating that there might be a selected object there) to select. Zoom in on the new selection and determine if you need the object or not. If not, delete it. If you do then move it much closer to the drawing.  Repeat until when you Fit to Objects you get a zoomed in view of your main drawing.

Recommendation 2: You need to get the drawing closer to the Internal Origin.  You can do this be either moving the drawing or by Georeferencing the drawing. If you don't need geo referencing you can use the Tool Menu:Origin:Move Drawing to Internal Origin command. You may need to repeat this.

After you do all of this the clip cubes in your saved views will probably be in the wrong places and may be very small and very far away. You will need to find them and expand them back to where you need them.

HTH.

image.thumb.png.36f685cbb65b13a4eded9095a8b053de.png

• Like 1

I seem to have a similar problem.

When I execute Create Section Viewport [from the Clip Cube plane] it creates a small suqare empty viewport. If I go to Top Plan View, and choose to fit view to objects, it will zoom out and the section line seem to be somewhere within the model - so it's not associated with the model itself.

My Internal Origin is in the middle of my model and it's properly geolocated. 

I don't know what to do. Wasting time trying to figure out the software rather than progressing with the design 🙇‍♂️.

On 11/22/2023 at 6:27 AM, Michal Zarzecki said:

I seem to have a similar problem.

When I execute Create Section Viewport [from the Clip Cube plane] it creates a small suqare empty viewport. If I go to Top Plan View, and choose to fit view to objects, it will zoom out and the section line seem to be somewhere within the model - so it's not associated with the model itself.

My Internal Origin is in the middle of my model and it's properly geolocated. 

I don't know what to do. Wasting time trying to figure out the software rather than progressing with the design 🙇‍♂️.

I'm having exactly this problem. Worked through the moderator's advice above with no effect. I've never had problems with section viewports before and I'm a seasoned user, but thesis the first time I've needed clip cube viewports. 

I managed to get it working when I changed the clip cube view to an orthogonal view, i.e. rather than an isometric view I changed it to "back". 

I had been trying for a sectional view anyway so this worked.

...in case anyone else is having this problem. In the "Create Section Viewport" dialog box, change the Style Name from "Unstyled" to any of the options. Worked for me. It also might be relevant that I'm working from a converted VW2018 file (into VW2024).