Site Model Adds Contours

Appreciate the assistance. The attached file is georeferenced. For some reason, when I create a site model, extra contours appear. The intervals on the correct Conceptual Master Plan (3D polygons) are 0.5 meters apart in the Z. Notice that on the site model (above the CMP), the relative x,y spacing/positions are different and there are extra contours added (particularly on the upper/higher contours). 

Also, I would like to overlay the aerial (actually a live georeferenced link to a server active on the Conceptiual Master Plan drawing) on the site model topo - or is that not possible because it's a live link? maybe I have to just capture a bitmap, then overlay it? If the latter, what the best procdeure for doing so? 

Thanks VERY MUCH!

Using VW 2021 on my laptop with NVIDIA Geforce and Intel Core 17

230524_MASDAR Concept_COP28_GEOREF.vwx

take a look at your 3D polys in a perspective view, they have several problems.

Some are not at the correct elevation over their entire length.  Example: the starting verticie is at the correct elevation and thus appears correct in the OIP, but when you look at the contour in 3D, the problem is obvious.  Alternatively, cycle thought the verticies in the OIP and note the change in Z... 

So, Vectorworks is giving you the best approximation based upon the data you are feeding it and this is why you have additional contours.

For your other question....

You can overlay an sketch, drone photography, or just about any image file you wish.  You just have to make a texture using the desired image and apply it to the site model.

Before doing so, you should probably georeference your file correctly and not use a plan rotation.  That will make things easier on you.

The quickest way to make the texture is to activate the geoimage on the site model.  This will create a renderworks texture which you can extract the image.  The it is just a matter of editing the image in your preferred photo editor to create a new image with the same alignment.  Duplicate the site model texture and replace the old image with your new one and you will have a texture that is perfectly matched to your site and can be applied to the site model in the OIP from the render tab instead of via Geoimage in the Site Model settings.

I think I posted an example of mapping hand sketched to a site model sometime in 2021 if you search the forum.

Here's an example of my texturing methodology applied to your project by sketching over the aerial photograph in Affinity Photo.

ScreenShot2023-05-24at17_32_58.thumb.png.7c5e79dc8c2d526a2065b969073e1bf0.png

Here's the old one I thought I posted here on the forum...

This is a mashup of hand sketching applied to a site model, note the contours can be shown with the texture.

Also features some sketchup bldgs from the architect and a 3D scan of some rock outcroppings I captured.

ScreenShot2023-05-24at17_48_19.thumb.png.fc109293ad7a2ce0974b9ecedcc427ae.png

Edited by jeff prince
  • Like 2