Lighting Accessories (Lens Type)

Hi,

I'm a bit lost here with Lighting Accessories. Does anyone can help me?

If you embed accessory to Lighting Device symbol accessory's symbol gets positioned in the middle of Light symbol. If accessory is removed and same accessory symbol is added with Accessory Tool accessory gets placed correctly.

When embedding barn doors (or scroller) to lighting device symbols you need to offset accessory symbol so it's placement fits correctly to fixture symbol front side. If this embedded accessory is removed with Accessory Tool and added back to Lighting Device, accessory is inserted with defined offset from fixtures lens not from fixtures insertion point. Now there is gap between fixture body and accessory.

image.thumb.png.4f810e2519109053fb7de5524e42b621.png

Used symbols are form default Vectorworks library.

How to get this work so that I have correctly positioned accessory in embedded symbol even when accessory is removed and inserted back with Accessory tool?

Test file attached.

acceesories offset.vwx

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

So let's break this down first.

I'm trying to make lighting device symbol that has barn doors as accessories attached. Just like fresnel would potentially have when you pick it up from case.

My method to add barn doors is,

1. Import both symbols from library to file.
  2. Edit fixture to add BD on Edit 2D Components
    1.  Using Insert symbol tool add BD to fixture 2D. BD attached to front of fixture
  3. See results, 2D is fine. In 3D there is offset in BD placement.
  4. Correct 3D placement in Edit 3D Components
  5. Oops. 2D placement is center of fixture symbol but 3D placement is correct.
  6. In both cases if you remove and add BD back to Lighting Device with Lighting Accessory tool then BD placement is correct in both 2D & 3D

If I try to correct BD 2D representation to have offset in BD symbol then Lighting Device tool inserts barn doors away from the fixture. See picture in the first post.

When playing around with this now, I found third way to get same kind of almost correct result. Insert fixture, add BD with Lighting Accessory tool, Create Symbol with Create plug-in symbol option and get this on Resource Manager: image.png.a70500ab403a98e8012b3bd357fa2aaf.png

But this way Fixture and accessory gets inserted correctly placed to drawing. 

I can kind of see where this issue arises, adding symbol inside symbol when program does not yet know to handle symbols as Lighting Devices. Lighting Device tool on the other hand always deals with  Lighting Devices and knows how relations with different parts should be.

Is there way to get everything to line up correctly?

• Like 2