Best Practices for Using Old Vectorworks Files?

I'm starting a new project for an old client. Our last project for them was drawn in VW2016 and VW 2017. It's a single story, single-family house. I'm wondering if there are advantages and disadvantages to either opening the old file with VW2023 and working in that file, or also opening a new file in 2023 (using our office's latest template), and importing the old building geometry into this new file. 

If I just open the old file in 2023, I will need to replace the sheet borders and import some custom worksheets and symbols that are part of our current office standards. If I use a new copy of our current template I will need to import all of the old building and site geometry. Do you have a preference  between these two approaches?

Thanks,

Ed

Personally, I would do the latter, i.e. fresh file, and copy data into the fresh file either by layer reference and bind or good old paste in place.  Take care to set up user origins etc.

The sheet layers are another issue since to replicate viewports on sheets is notoriously long-winded, though better in 2023.  Set up design layers first and don't change any names until all data is in the new file and the sheets are complete.

The sheet border...  Convert all sheets and then edit the resulting Title Block Border as required, i.e. lock down parameters, etc.  You may get some conflict if you import the old sheet into a new file containing a title block border so make sure you do all this in a fresh blank file.

Otherwise, simply convert and if there are any problems, rebuild the file.

ps  The above assumes you are working in 2D and not 3D using Storeys.

Edited by shorter
  • Like 1

Thanks @shorter. That's a useful overview. I have decided to do the latter as you suggested, although I have always done the former. But this project is very simple so I was less concerned about missing some geometry or misaligning geometry. I wasn't even thinking about the sheet layer VPs, but our file template has VPs already set up. I'll just need to adjust the crops and reposition the VPs on the sheets. I am pasting in 3D geometry but we do not use Stories. 

Thanks again.

Ed