Geological Survey is lumpy

Reading some recent posts about rooftop gardens and parks made me test and explore.  Which started an investigation the DTM Geological Survey component in an imagined, simplified context.  Specifically, I'm trying to represent the volumes (shims) between soil sheet and building roof.  Several comments and questions:

1. In the Geological Survey Component Edit, new Geo points can be placed by snapping to DTM or guide objects and locate with 3d elevation. Leave then reenter the geo component edit and all geo points revert to layer plane. They are difficult to pick for later edit because they all look same.  Why not have them stay where placed? Or, better move to assigned depth in OIP component fields. Or?

2. Geo points have OIP data fields (thickness/depth) for geo component and components above and below. An additional workflow could be to make array of 3d loci and transform them to geo points, then paste them into the geo edit pane. Or somehow use the array to create a geo survey for import.  I can paste a guide object (eg a contour) into the geo edit, snap new geo points to it, then delete the guide object.  Works OK as does the DAP tool to spread points with similar depth data.

3.  My tests with single geo component does not make a consistent surface/volume.  The geo points seem to connect intermittently to the next component up, or even show edges extending below the OIP point value, rather than connection to adjacent geo points.  What's the workflow to create a geo component surface conforming to the points?

Any comments or workflow suggestions appreciated.

-B

RoofGeo1.thumb.png.26dfa2a5f2c27c2a42d61f5bdbfe7ee2.png

RoofGeo3.thumb.png.242998e39bd37902419592efcdc27e07.png

517644643_RoofGeocopy.vwx

Modeling is most direct path, fer’ sure. Might also help to split the site. Separate DTM at each roof level might facilitate a flat exist with contoured proposed. Could the shims be represented with a tapered component? Haven’t investigated tapers yet. 

I’ve seen some examples where a thin “ghost” component is created above or below the geo components, but no success for me so far. 

I’m still curious about a geo survey spreadsheet file. Never saw one.  What format needed in vwx? What info is in the columns? Can I collect that data from array of 3d loci via a vwx worksheet and save as a geo survey file? 

-B