Exporting to Revit

olly-sb

Question

Hi,

Our project requires us to export to Revit 2021, with categorisation / class information intact, for integration into a wider Revit BIM model. The recipient (Revit user) has informed us after a test import that the model imports only as a 3D block, lacking any of the required information of the building elements, and so what we have sent isn't suitable for import into the main model. 

I gather from other similar threads that there is no control over the Revit export settings in Vectorworks, so firstly I'd just like to check that is correct? We have imported Revit models to Vwx with this info included so would have hoped it works the other way around too?

If that is correct, is there a recommended work-around or an export to a different file type which will would allow us to supply the model with the required level of information?

We use Vectorworks version 2022.

Thanks in advance for your help.

2 answers to this question

Hi,

I have been advised to export as an IFC file as a work-around, however having completed a few test exports now (importing back into Vectorworks), the model is virtually empty, with probably only around 5% of elements appearing in the import. All classes / layers are present in the navigation panel.

I don't understand the difference between the visible elements compared to the missing ones that is causing them to appear. I have un-grouped everything, and most of the model is formed of symbols.

Please can someone advise on where I am going wrong? Are there settings within the IFC export dialogue box that need altering?

Thank you

Hi @olly-sb

I am not an expert but are sending IFC models regularly to the engineers we are collaborating with.

Only elements containing IFC data era exported. Architectural elements in VW (walls, Stairs, Windows and so on) come with default IFC settings assigned and export well to IFC. IF you are modeling elements from scratch you have to assign IFC data to the objects. 

https://app-help.vectorworks.net/2023/eng/VW2023_Guide/IFC/Assigning_IFC_data to_objects.htm?rhsearch=assign IFC&rhhlterm=assigning assigned assignment assign ifc

When starting the collaboration I try out different export options in the IFC export pane and send to my engineer end choose what works best for them. Usually they prefer me to hide unnecessary detail (railings and even windows) to make the model simpler and lighter to work with. A good dialog in the start is key to successful cooperation. 

• Like 1