Data Tag "Sheet Name" info into Worksheet

DianaK

Question

In the course of Project Sharing, due to the issue where if anyone has a Title Block checked it out, no one can add sheet layers, my team is using a datatag as a titleblock. I traditionally manage a large quantity of titleblocks via a worksheet. There are two columns in my work sheet where I'm having trouble with the formula. Please see attached. They are marked in red.

I'm trying to pull the Sheet Name into a Worksheet. The Data Tag IS already able to show the sheet name (upper Left corner).  I can't replicate that action in the worksheet. The column for the total number of pages is of secondary importance.  

If I could simply attach a Title Block record to this data tag as well, I could grab the sheet name that way. But that is not allowed. When I query the layer that the data tags on, it will give me the sheet number.  I just can't seem to say: "Return the NAME of the sheet that this Data Tag lives on"

I hope that I simply need to plug a better formula into the worksheet but I know it may not be that simple.  The answer may lie in the data manager, but I wasn't getting what I wanted, and I was starting to break things, so I put the crayons down and posted here instead.

1648724319_TBreplacementissue.vwx

3 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello @DianaK,

8 hours ago, DianaK said:

In the course of Project Sharing, due to the issue where if anyone has a Title Block checked it out, no one can add sheet layers, my team is using a datatag as a titleblock

- This is probably caused by some document wide data that you use. You can either try not to modify document wide data or make your title blocks inactive so that they do not get included in the page number and total num sheets calculations, but I think that you need these calculations so this is not going to work for you.

8 hours ago, DianaK said:

There are two columns in my work sheet where I'm having trouble with the formula. Please see attached. They are marked in red.

- For total num sheets you can try using '=Count' to simply get the count of objects with your special record attached to them which is the same as the count of subrows in the worksheet. For the sheet name you can use '=DataTagField('SHT Name')' which will give you exactly the same as what the data tag.

Let me know if that helps.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

• Like 1

@trevorgooch I see your counting workaround and I like it.  I appreciate your solves and will be implementing.  I would also love to brainstorm the nuances of data source linking with you.  I'll reach out by email

Thank you both!