Window Settings/Appearance Changing when Copied or Placed into Wall

CW2020

Hey y'all. I'm fairly new to adjusting window to this level of detail. But I spent some time figuring out several adjustments to items including the sash location in the wall, creating a brick sill to match exiting window, and and adding an extension jamb. In this clip I'm demonstrating what happens when I duplicate or add a new window into a wall. All I'm doing here is copying/dragging, and the second duplication is a copy and paste. Then I show a window inserted into the wall... and sometimes the sill may even flip to the interior of some locations, while the window sash is properly oriented. Each of these actions changes the window setting/look in both 2D and 3D. Am I doing something wrong? Maybe just a bug? Note I'm on 2023 working with a new file and I'm using a generic wall. Thanks. *Edit: These changes also occur when I edit a window in anyway; as basic as the overall dimensions.

Edited by CW2020
Adding to description of issue

Bit hard to tell what's going on from the movie. In the first drag-copy action the jamb extensions are disappearing because they need a Wall: when you drag the copied window back into the wall they will reappear.

As regards the right hand windows, I have had issues with Custom Configuration for Windows + the 2D graphics not displaying correctly after editing the window size + have had to enter the Custom Configuration Options + 'pretend' to edit the settings in order to reset it. Not sure if part of your issue is to do with this.

Also with regard to Sills, although this isn't happening in the movie be aware that the Sill direction is determined by the Wall direction. So you can paste a window into a new wall but if the wall is facing the wrong way (i.e. left + right are the wrong way around) your sill will not go the way you want it until you click 'Reverse Sides' in OIP (for the Wall). Also, if you're using the 'Timber' sill type the sill depth + keep dims are relative to the wall thickness but can't be 'bound' to the Wall so always have to be edited on a wall by wall basis (different if using 'Brick' type). So you can set up a sill perfectly in one wall but when you copy it into a second wall with a different thickness the sill will look wrong + need editing to match the thickness of the new wall.

• Like 1

Super informative, Tom. Very helpful. I will say I'm clear on the walls having ext vs int... it's still happened though, regarding sill being inverted. I closed out the file last night with some of the windows still appearing as if they needed to be tweaked yet again. Opened the file just now and most all of them 'corrected' (for lack of better term) on their own. Just graphical perhaps. Maybe it's just my hardware; running a MacBook Pro 2016 with all the upgrades. Overdue for a new one. And though I've been hesitant to delete my Vwx and then re-download the program, it's helped with graphic issues and bugs in the past. Apologies going off topic some, but I've had wonky issues w/ VWX consistently for ~3 years. It must be user error. Anyways, thanks again.

Edited by CW2020
  • Like 1