Hoist attachment and replace object with hoist

Wood

I often work with drawings where part of the work has already been done, including dropping in symbols and truss. Typically, hoist connections are never correct, or they may have even used an old 3D symbol instead of the hoist plugin object. Worse yet, it could be an AutoCAD import.

So, two requests here- or maybe there's already a better way:

1: Allow a way to attach hoists to truss WITHOUT having to move the hoist away from and then back onto the truss. Something like the load management tool where you would click the truss then click the hoist and they would attach, with an option to shift either the hoist OR the truss on the XY plane. Often the truss position is slave to an existing house rigging point, so the truss is the object that must shift to allow the connection, but other times truss has priority. Also, the red magnet can be REAL finicky, and refuse to attach where the hoist will actually exist, even though it is within real physical parameters. 

2: Allow 'Replace object with hoist'. If I could grab all of the imported 2D symbols and simply replace them with VW Hoists, my workload would be significantly improved. 

I spend an inordinate amount of time repairing hoist and load connections, to the point that hand calculating the load is faster in many instances. I would love if I could connect things to trusses WITHOUT the object snapping to some strange place on the truss. VW doesn't know that fixtures and objects can be hung in strange orientations, and really it shouldn't matter so long as I tell it where the object connects to the truss. Similar to a data tag associating with an object, but still having the ability to drag the tag to where you need it. 

Thanks for any insight!

• Like 2
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Wood
I'll put the enhancement requests in for both the hoist related ideas, They are both needed features and would be a big help in other scenario's as well.

10 hours ago, Wood said:

I spend an inordinate amount of time repairing hoist and load connections, to the point that hand calculating the load is faster in many instances. I would love if I could connect things to trusses WITHOUT the object snapping to some strange place on the truss. VW doesn't know that fixtures and objects can be hung in strange orientations, and really it shouldn't matter so long as I tell it where the object connects to the truss. Similar to a data tag associating with an object, but still having the ability to drag the tag to where you need it. 

You can do this by using the simplified geometry and turning of the est of the trusses geometry to eliminate the extra snapping points (Rigging-Truss-Truss)
when inserting a light or other object hover the mouse just close enough tot he truss that the blue preview outline triggers but no the red auto-connect highlight, the object should then connect correct without snapping to the trusses center line or and odd location such as a diagonal brace.

Another option is to use the align and distribute tool in the lighting tool set, which can be used with any load objects not just lighting devices.

On 3/31/2023 at 12:21 AM, jcogdell said:

Another option is to use the align and distribute tool in the lighting tool set, which can be used with any load objects not just lighting devices.

Oh wow I can't believe I didn't know about this tool! I always use the standard one, which doesn't attach things. Thank you!

Thanks for submitting the requests!

• 2 months later...

I just tried the SImplified Truss Class to help with my Hoist placement but my truss just dissapears when I turn off the Rigging-Truss-Truss Class. I get the Blue Outline when I enable the Simplified Class, but as soon as I turn off Rigging-Truss-Truss, everything goes. Did I read the above information wrong? I tried starting a new file, but it still does it.

It would be really usefull to get this working to avoid the red magnet snapping issues that Wood was talking about.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
On 6/23/2023 at 6:54 PM, Chris J Clarke said:

I just tried the SImplified Truss Class to help with my Hoist placement but my truss just dissapears when I turn off the Rigging-Truss-Truss Class. I get the Blue Outline when I enable the Simplified Class, but as soon as I turn off Rigging-Truss-Truss, everything goes. Did I read the above information wrong? I tried starting a new file, but it still does it.

Check whether your truss objects are assigned to the Rigging-Truss-Truss class, if the truss object itself is assigned to this class truing it off will turn off every part of the trusses geometry, not just the normal geometry part assigned to the class in our default libraries.

On 6/26/2023 at 9:14 AM, jcogdell said:

Check whether your truss objects are assigned to the Rigging-Truss-Truss class, if the truss object itself is assigned to this class truing it off will turn off every part of the trusses geometry, not just the normal geometry part assigned to the class in our default libraries.

Thanks Jesse,

That was it. I've moved the Truss to a new Class and the Blue SImplified Lines are there now when I turn off my new Truss Class.

Thanks for your help again.