A way to explode 'Plants in array' modes into "Plants at Poly vertices" mode.

hollister design Studio

Question

I love the 'Plants in array' Modes.

...but there is almost no instance where at least one plant needs placement adjustment.

Currently:

• I use the "Plants in triangular array" mode.
  • adjust my spacing value.
  • snap over this with a "Plants at Poly vertices" mode plant object.
  • delete the original.
  • now I can move individual vertices to fit.

To be able to "explode" an array plant mode into a "Plants at Poly vertices" mode would be so helpful.

4 answers to this question

I just found 2 workarounds for anyone who would like to explode a "plants in array" or "plants along poly edges" plant groupings.

1. If you add one more plant object and "change plant groupings"/"combine plants into one single plant" Vectorworks converts the complex mode into the simple "plants at polyvertices" mode.

2. Just use "change plant groupings" twice in a row - this changes grouped plants to individual plants and then changes them to "plants at polyvertices" mode.

Both methods allow you to use the auto layout features of these modes, and afterwards easily adjust individual plant locations - moving or deleting as necessary.

...I would still love a button to do this.

But at least it's a fairly easy workaround and shows that VW could easily implement this as part of the "change plant groupings" dialog.