Symbol color override by class

chris cummins

Question

I want to be able to set the color of a symbol based on class, independent of class settings of components that make up the symbol. I want to be able to toggle components of the symbol to either follow or not follow the style of the class applied to the symbol.
This can be done in AutoCAD using PROPERTIES --> General --> Color: ByLayer on the block (symbol in VWX) so that the block follows the color of the layer (class in VWX). Within the block editor, components of the block may be set to Color: ByLayer and will always take the color of their assigned layer, regardless of block layer. They can also be set to Color: ByBlock and will follow the color of the layer the block is placed on. 

• Like 1

2 answers to this question

On 3/25/2023 at 2:55 PM, michaelk said:

Have you looked at Data Visualization?

Here's a super simple example:

image.thumb.png.bb60b243a30dd1129063c7239e99eaa8.png

I find it really useful to attache record to objects and use the data from those record to change the color.  Check out Data Vis on the University.

https://university.vectorworks.net

Data Vis Example.vwx 251.64 kB · 0 downloads

By container class option would be just more generally useful even if Data Vis was robust as a feature.*

I've found Data vis to be very very hit and miss on when it chooses to work.