Multistem existing trees

RyPal

Hi All,

New user here.

I am using the Existing Tree Schedule for a tree inventory, but having some issues with the DBH output of the Schedule.

For multistem trees and tree groupings, I input the DBH values (multiple X,Y,Z, or range X-Y), but the table seem to average the multiple values and display the average number.

ie. if I put in 3,5 for a twin stemmed tree, the table will display 4. Or if I input a range 15-25, the table will display 20.

Any thoughts or easy work arounds?

Thanks

Ryan

• 2 weeks later...

@RyPal What would you like the DBH to say in the case where there are multiple stems?

When I have data that I need to have behave differently than what the Vectorworks engineers thought was best...

I either use the other data fields available, such as the case with the Existing Tree object.

Or, I attach a custom record format to the object.

The way I format my data varies, depending on the jurisdiction.  Some want caliper of a multi-trunk tree to be an average, others want the total caliper of all trunks.

So, when dealing with multi-trunk trees, I use field 9 & 10 to record # of trunks and total caliper of those trunks.

A worksheet can then be formatted to calculate and report the desired value, or more commonly, I just input the data into the caliper field based on the jurisdiction's requirements... they don't ask me how many trunks there are.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I tend to have some issues with the existing tree tool too.

One of them is the way VW calculates DBH and Root Protection Zone circle for multi stems. In the UK for example, we use two formulas for RPZs, depending on whether the tree has 5 and less stems or more. It would be great to be able to define/ edit the formula in VW. Perhaps it can, but in one of the program's XML files 🤷‍♂️. For now, I need to make all calcs separately and input the RPZ radius manually.