Add missing fixture modes to new or existing fixtures? (Vectorworks 2022, 2023 soon)

A LOT of fixtures in the library do not have fixture modes included in the dropdown menu. Is there a particular spot where I can edit the record or database to include the proper modes?

Really, I just want the DMX footprint to be populated correctly, without having to double check each fixture footprint from the manual, or from its MA console profile.

Someone on Facebook had mentioned that the Fixture mode is used for export to Vision, and that's is fine, but I DO NOT care about the fixtures' function in VISION, as I do not and will never use Vision. I just need it to populate the DMX footprint field so I can patch easily.  As a side note, if this is true, Vision must have a terribly lacking fixture library. 

Someone on Facebook recommended using GDTF instead. While I would have to make files for a lot of fixtures, I am not opposed to doing it, however it Vectorworks does not keep the proper modes for each fixture in the dropdown menu. Instead, you must click "other" and then navigate a separate menu. Is there a way to keep just the modes for each symbol in the GDTF dropdown?   Is there a way to select a default GDTF or Fixture mode when I add the fixture to my document? (I have reset the record for default DMX footprint to my most commonly used mode, but this seems like a legacy issue, that should be replaced with fixture mode or GDTF).

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The fixture modes come from the fixtures used by Vision. There is no way for a user to add or edit the Vision fixtures.
The default fixture modes available are filtered based on the Instrument Type name in Vectorworks. If you select Other... in the drop-down you will see the full list of fixtures available.

Currently there is no way to set the default GDTF file or GDTF fixture mode in Vectorworks but it's something we are looking at for a future improvement.

If the only thing you need is the DMX footprint you can set the default value in the Light Info Record of the lighting device symbol.  If there is no Fixture mode or GDTF mode selected then the lighting device will use the information form the Light Info Record and you will be able to manually change the DMX footprint in the OIP.

I have entered my most commonly used DMX footprint in the Light Info Record(since most of them are wrong by default anyway), but that still does no fix the issue of needing to open another software or open a reference manual to check each other fixture mode when I need something different, so I can manually enter the footprint.

With fixtures having MANY DMX modes and channel counts, its really cumbersome when an LD says put those in "Extended", or "Tour" mode, not to be able to bring those up by name and channel count. Using GDTF could remedy this somewhat, but if we should be able to associate GDTF modes that are only applicable to a particular lighting device. It makes no sense to patch a Marin Mac Viper Profile, and have to sort through 20 other manufacture and fixture types, it should just show modes available to a Mac Viper Profile.

Thanks anyway, and I hope to see some refinement of these features in the future.