Panel Connectors - Attributes and Classes

spettitt

I have a few suggestions for improving the useability of stock panel connectors, especially when used alongside user-added definitions.

The stock symbols have geometry in the class of '...Cutout', which represents the centre marks of any cutouts, but not the cutouts themselves. Our standard is to draw the cutout in green and the centre marks in red, which is more useful for laser fabrication later. For adding connectors to stock punched panels this may result in coincident geometry, in which case the user could just turn it off and use the punched cutout geometry from the panel. But for companies like us, so much of our stuff is custom-lasered that the geometry really needs to originate in the connector.

Could a second class be added for this geometry in the stock symbols?

image.png.2f756440ec9d3b3aca40e8dae5cc5fae.png

image.png.b9bc0f745a43e27e606a2fde4bf0ed31.png

Also - lots of connectors look different if they are front or rear-mounted. We class some geometry differently if it would be hidden when a connector is rear-mounted, but it can be shown grey to aid coordination while laying out a panel.

This might be a helpful addition to the stock symbols?

Of course, an NE8FDX-P6 is always front-mounted, so this connector has no geometry in our 'Connector Hidden' class.

image.png.9393cf181ca374115acc0a4a6428cb5e.png

image.png.59e75be21a6b43e4a73416b9226c1c20.png

image.png

• Love 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@spettitt thank you very much for the feedback. These are all basically content wish-items. The extent to which they can be addressed depends on available resources. I will log them but at the moment I can't make any promises.

Of course you can develop this for your own use including adding extra classes. If you create a well-structured library I could certainly propose the idea of Vectorworks buying in this kind of content from power users.

Best

Conrad