Don't rotate view back to 0º when Top/Plan is activated

Christiaan

Question

I'm trying out modelling buildings in real-world orientation. I'm using the Rotate View function to work on the building at right-angles to the screen, but this function is a little too temporary for my liking.

For instance why does the view get rotated back to zero degrees when I activate Top/Plan view? It does this even if I have the Rotate View option in the View Bar locked/greyed out.

Is there any technical reason why VW needs rotate back to zero view when activating Top/Plan? Or could we have an option to turn this off? 

Is there any user experience reason why it rotates back to zero? Or could this behaviour just be removed?

While I'm at it: is there any particular reason that it's called 'Rotate View' in the View Bar but 'Rotate Plan' in the View menu?

11 answers to this question

19 minutes ago, Christiaan said:

For instance why does the view get rotated back to zero degrees when I activate Top/Plan view?

If you choose 'Top/Plan' it will go back to Top/Plan. You need to choose 'Rotated Top/Plan' instead.

1628457864_Screenshot2023-02-24at17_13_41.png.7ed6cb8213dfa2138410034891556c74.png

When I hit 0 on my numeric keypad it takes me to Rotated Top/Plan whereas Command-5 takes me to Top/Plan

• Like 2
13 hours ago, Christiaan said:

0 on my numeric pad still takes me to Top/Plan though.

Hmm really? If I am in Top/Plan + I create a Rotated Top/Plan view then change to a 3D view, then hit 0 on my keypad it takes me back to the Rotated Top/Plan view. If I then hit 0 a second time it takes me back to Top/Plan + I've lost the Rotated Top/Plan view which is why I always save the rotations in Saved Views. I don't want to be activating the 'Rotate Plan' command every time I want to change the orientation. Some projects the building has different parts on different axes or there might be multiple buildings all oriented differently.

13 hours ago, Christiaan said:

I'm not at all convinced that Command-5 should reset orientation. 

Command-5 is mapped to Top/Plan view only: 1487746184_Screenshot2023-02-25at07_09_37.png.51a4d92c9d8836e59fcedfdd86f363f7.png

Whereas 0 is mapped to both Top/Plan and Rotated Top/Plan: 1029789495_Screenshot2023-02-25at07_10_03.png.4e6408614c04c71ac1fb9edb16d4f3ed.png

• Like 1
On 2/25/2023 at 7:16 AM, Tom W. said:

I always save the rotations in Saved Views.

Yeah Saved Views is useful, but I still think view rotation should be independent and more permanent. 

Whereas 0 is mapped to both Top/Plan and Rotated Top/Plan: 1029789495_Screenshot2023-02-25at07_10_03.png.4e6408614c04c71ac1fb9edb16d4f3ed.png

Where are you quoting this from?

If I am in Top/Plan + I create a Rotated Top/Plan view then change to a 3D view, then hit 0 on my keypad it takes me back to the Rotated Top/Plan view. If I then hit 0 a second time it takes me back to Top/Plan + I've lost the Rotated Top/Plan view

I just clocked what I was doing wrong. I was hitting 0 while in Rotated Top/Plan view. 🤓

53 minutes ago, Christiaan said:

Geez, I'm so used to hitting command-5 with my left hand sitting on my keyboard. The 0 is not handy.

I'm actually the opposite 🙂. I never use Command-5. I have a separate numeric keypad to the right of my mouse + am quite comfortable changing view with my right hand. In fact I can hit 0 with my little finger without leaving the mouse! Probably only me who likes this set-up 🙂