export MVR creates GDTF data with not correct dmx footprint

When exporting a lightrig to mvr, the gdtf data that get created has the wrong dmx foot print.

I have created an empty file with an Chauvet Color strike M. Set the fixture mode to 97 channel mode.

Export the file as MVR. When importing the same mvr in a new drawing or an other program the gdtf data count 96 channels.

Also opening the gdtf in the gdtf editor shows 96 channels.

This is happening with different fixture types.

Working 2023 SP3.

Kind Regards,

Erik-Jan Berendsen

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Where did you get the GDTF for the color strike from?
It's not on the GDTF share website
Since its not from the manufacturer section of the share there's a good chance that it has errors in it.

Also what are you using to open the MVR?

At this point most other CAD and Privis applications do not use the GDTF part of the MVR standard and instead you have to link the GDTF to one of the opening applications internal fixture definition/ profiles. This means that its possible that the error is not in what Spotlight is exporting but in the receiving application.

without more info or a sample file I can't say for certain whether the problem is with Spotlight or somewhere else (like the GDTF or receiving application)

Hello Jesse,

The GDTF file is created (I think) during the export to MVR. I never have imported GDTF files in this file.

The name of the gdtf file is: Custom@Chauvet Color Strike M.gdtf

And comes in the file after I have it imported in an empty file.

When I open this GDTF file thru Vectorworks in the GDTF builder I see that it had 96 channels instead of the 97 channels.

If I set the GDTF fixture mode to None the dmx footprint is 97. When I Set it the Custom@Chauvet Color Strike M. It's getting 96 channels foot print.

I have attached the Vectorworks file.

Kind Regards,

Erik-Jan Berendsen

GDTF .vwx

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi EJ

Unless you manually link a GDTF to your fixtures in Spotlight there will not be a valid GDTF in the MVR export. Any GDTF that begins with 'Custom@*********' is a place holder to tell the receiving software that there is a fixture but the GDTF itself doesn't contain any data about the light. This is likely why the GDTF is displaying the wrong dmx footprint

To link a GDTF you first need to go to the GDTF share website and download the ones you want,
then use the Import GDTF command to import them into your active file resources (or into a user or workgroup library so they are available for future projects).
Once you have the GDTF in your active file resources you use the GDTF fixture mode drop-down in the lighting device properties to link the GDTF to the light and choose the mode you wish to use.
You can now run the export MVR command and the GDTF's will be automatically included.

Using the fixture mode parameter will only assign a Vision lit file to the light for export to Vision, not a GDTF.

There is a workflow doc on the Vectorworks university that goes into more detail about the GDTF and MVR workflow, its focused on using MVR with Vision but its the same workflow on the Spotlight side no matter what your destination software is.
https://university.vectorworks.net/mod/scorm/player.php?a=373&currentorg=articulate_rise&scoid=746