Scale issues in Sheet layer in VW 2023

Bertadesign

Question

Hello everybody,

I've started working with VW 2023 a few months back and have not used sheet layers much yet. Now I started and realise that the viewports and annotations of technical drawings on sheet layers are totally off. I tried both, 1:1 design layer and 1:50 viewport and 1:50 design layer and 1:50 viewport. Also tried 1:25 just in case. The drawings come out completely wrong on the sheet layer. I'm using "hidden lines' as a rendering mode and an A3 paper. Any idea what I can improve?

4 answers to this question

What do you mean by "totally off".  I have been using them for years and never noticed a problem.

Are you actually adding annotation objects into the Viewport Annotation Group? Or are you trying to just put 2D objects onto the Sheet Layer? 

The Sheet Layer itself is always at 1:1 scale. The Annotation Group is at the same scale as the Viewport it is part of.

More details about what you are seeing will help us help you.

Thank you @Pat Stanford. I'm creating a viewport, which I put onto the sheet layer. I realised that the scale has nothing to do with it, it seems that the perspective is the issue. In a groundplan view or a side view, the measurements come out correctly, if I use isometric view, they are off. So, a wall that is 1000mm might be 4300 or 1500mm (see example). I read somewhere that it has to do with whether one uses normal or orthogonal perspective. I'm attaching the response I found in the forum somewhere else, which I only partly get.

Screenshot 2022-12-26 at 19.29.09.png

Screenshot 2022-12-28 at 13.18.00.png

You are correct about it being the Isometric.

The VW Dimension tools work with "actual" distances while an Isometric view "foreshortens" dimensions.

If you need dimensions to show in an Isometric (or Perspective) view, you are going to have to do the actual dimensioning in the Design Layer.

In the image below, the dimensions on the bottom of the cube (10 feet on each side in the design layer) and on the left side were done in the design layer. The ones at the top of the cube and on the right side were done in the Viewport Annotations group.

image.png.92eaa978af04ec0281784371594a7160.png

• Like 1