Layer plane issues..... I think

AlexanderWalker

Question

Hello 

I am currently modelling a house and when I attempt to draw a dimension on a particular elevation (view) of the house it appears on the elevation (view) directly behind. If I then view the elevation the dimension is incorrectly displayed on its actually also in reverse, as if it has moved through the building. 

I don't know if its coincidence or relevant but two elevations (views left and back) display the dimensions correctly when drawn on the surface of the walls and the other two opposing elevations (views right and front) do not and display as I have mentioned above. Further, the views which display the dimensions correctly are also directly connected to the internal origin and X,Y and Z axis. 

In addition to the above I have also realised the issue isnt related solely to dimensions. If I draw a line or a rectangle on the right and front view these objects also move onto the wall of the left and back views (which as I mentioned above also happen to be aligned with the internal origin and X,Y and Z axis. 

Does anyone know why this would be happening and how i can fix it? I have attached Images below for reference. 

Right view (the wall which the dimension should be on and the view which was selected to draw it on)

image.png.4027f4d5887f4a94901a880119197464.png

Left view (wall dimension appears on incorrectly) 

image.png.1255c499a0896dcc64900e191191cd3f.png

Alex Walker

PC

Windows 11

v2023 SP1 

Edited by AlexanderWalker
Additional information
  • Confused 1

8 answers to this question

Hi Pat

Thanks for responding. Its not on the same wall the dimension is showing incorrectly but a compleatly different wall.

I have attached the file as I dont think I will be able to explain it accurately enough and it may be easier to 'look' if you get what I mean

When you open the file the dimension that is highlighted was drawn on the wall in the right view but you will see is displaying (back to front) on a compleatly different wall in the left view 

Sandy Amy V1.vwx

Similar to what I said. The dimension was placed on the wrong working plane.

Go to a Right Isometric View and use the Working Plane tool (3D Tool Set) to set the working plane to the face of the wall you want the dimension on.

You can then either dimension in the Iso view or switch to a Right view and dimension from there. As long as the Plane dropdown in the View bar says Working Plane everything 2D you draw will be on that plane.

HTH

Amazing thank you. 

However, now when I draw a dimension on the wall in the left view the same issue is happening in reverse. 

I think somewhere I may have altered a setting I shouldn't have because previously it didn't matter which view I was in I could draw a dimension on that object without having to consistently set the working plane. Is there any way of setting up the file so the working plane moves or aligns with the view I am in? 

Ok great, thank you so much for your help I really appreciate it. 

So in conclusion, every time I need to add a 2D object such as a dimension to the 'face' of an object, such as a wall, I need to first set the working plane, and if I then change to another 'face' I need to reset the working plane? 

Sorry, its just so i have it clear in my mind. 

Yes, that will always work.

Every VW Layer has a Layer plane that can be selected from the Planes pull down in the View bar.

You can also set a specific Working Plane as described above.

There is also a setting in the Planes pull down for Automatic.  With that mode turned on you can dynamically hover over the face of an object and have that automatically considered to be a working plane and then draw 2D objects (or start 3D objects) on that plane.

If Automatic is not working well, you can manually set the Working Plane instead.

Objects that are on a plane other than the Layer Plane will show their Plane in the OIP as 3D. You can also move them from there to the current Working Plane.

HTH