Structural grid not showing in section viewport placed on design layer

Anders Brix

Question

3 answers to this question

Hello Matt Panzer,

Thank you for your answer. This makes sense. I guess my workflow of drawing 2D in design layers is partly a left-over from previous decades, where all I did was 2D. I use the section viewport on design layer merely as a reference for overall placement of main elements, and build the entire section drawing on one or two layers above (two so as to use snap but not modify when stacking geometry). I make a sheet-viewport of those 2D layers and add text, measures etc. there. But I refrain from drawing in annotation space.

I think a main reason for my habit is that a detail like, say, the connection between roof and wall is quite complex. Attempts to model the actual connection between the many elements (in Denmark we build with ca. 400mm of insulation and a collection of membranes, air gaps, and more around and between) seems overwhelming. I have tried, but always ended up with the need to make white areas with no perimeter line in order to cover up graphics in annotation space, and add other line-work on top. Since annotation space is all in one layer, this becomes a troublesome way of drawing.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
4 hours ago, Anders Brix said:

Hello Matt Panzer,

Thank you for your answer. This makes sense. I guess my workflow of drawing 2D in design layers is partly a left-over from previous decades, where all I did was 2D. I use the section viewport on design layer merely as a reference for overall placement of main elements, and build the entire section drawing on one or two layers above (two so as to use snap but not modify when stacking geometry). I make a sheet-viewport of those 2D layers and add text, measures etc. there. But I refrain from drawing in annotation space.

I think a main reason for my habit is that a detail like, say, the connection between roof and wall is quite complex. Attempts to model the actual connection between the many elements (in Denmark we build with ca. 400mm of insulation and a collection of membranes, air gaps, and more around and between) seems overwhelming. I have tried, but always ended up with the need to make white areas with no perimeter line in order to cover up graphics in annotation space, and add other line-work on top. Since annotation space is all in one layer, this becomes a troublesome way of drawing.

I know what you mean about the object stacking issues when the annotations get crowded.  The only thing I can think of for that is to maybe group certain objects together to help organize related objects and their stacking.

• Like 1