How to make the Schedule use the USER FIELD as number and do a proper Sum

FBernardo

The User Fields are stored as strings, so by default the numbers are not able to be summed.

A formula of =Value(UserField1) should get you a number that can be summed, but there is not error checking that what is in the cell is a valid number. If you have 35mm in the field (including the unit) that will not be properly converted to a number.

=Value('Window'.'UserFld1')

For Doors and Windows the field are named as above. For one of the other common plugins (Spaces maybe??) the name is different.

• Like 1

Hi @Pat Stanford,

I've been trying to figure out how to use the formula you gave me, but not getting there.

Let me try to explain, as I think I might have lacked a bit in details.

I have a Schedule that is collecting information from all windows and doors and I need to add trickle vent for a ventilation calculation, so I say in Window A, B and C it needs 2 trickle vents of 5000 and so on, then I need to add all of the values from the windows to reach a total number, something like excel where you do a SUM of a column, but since I'm using the Userfield for this it doesn't read it as a number so it only gives me the number of Entries. 

So in this image the red column is the one that I need to add all the values, in the Blue rectangle to give me the total.

160670732_Screenshot2022-09-21at10_10_10.thumb.png.67a00a3722304615ff2256461d42b861.png

Hope this makes sense? 

So far what I was using was the Centreline as this can be read as a value number and it actually works in the Sum, but I needed from Userfield as it's better than using the centreline!

10 minutes ago, Pat Stanford said:

Can you send me the file so I can look at exactly what the different between the Row 4 and Row 5 databases?

The database is the Row 4 is Window based and the Row 5 is Door based but sure i can try and send it when i'm at the job as my internet at home is terrible to upload files!

59 minutes ago, Pat Stanford said:

Also, are you calculating the Equivalent Area? Or do you just want to enter the value manually for each window?

This is a manually entered value as it might differ from window to window or door to door... although in the screenshot attached earlier they are all equal by chance...

• 1 year later...

Hello, is there an answer to this?

I am trying to put together an area schedule that reports the volumes and areas of a set of spaces, and then totals them at the bottom so I get the total area and total volume. Inputting '=C2') or whatever just gives me the number of spaces being reported, not a sum of the values in that column

We need more information about your use case to be able to help.

Are you listing your Spaces in a Database row/subrows?  If so, then you should just be able to add an additional column to the database to report the area (and spaces have multiple different Net/Gross areas, so you want to choose the correct one for your use and file setup). That should automatically total to the database header row. If the Area formula is in column D and the database is in Row 2 then =D2 should get you the total area of all the spaces in the database.

If this is not your issue, please clarify what you are doing and trying to do.