Setting to Change Dimensions form Feet & Inches-to-inches Only?

CW2020

Several things control this.

1. If you want ALL standard dims in the drawing converted to inches only (or to any of the other options):

• Open the File Menu>Document Settings>Units
  • In the resulting Units Dialog, choose Dimensions (top item) from list on the left side.
  • Near top, click the Units dropdown menu and choose Inches from the list.
  • Result will be conversion of all standard (not dual - see below) dimensions in the drawing.

2. If you want to change a selection of dims to Inches and leave others as Feet and Inches, you need to set up and apply Dual Dimensions (bit of a slog, but you will get there):

First - 

• Set up Dual Dimensions for the drawing as follows:
  • Open the File Menu>Document Settings>Units
  • In the resulting Units Dialog, choose Dual Dimensions (2nd item down) from list on the left side.
  • Open the Units dropdown (I think it defaults to mm) and choose Inches.
  • Adjust your rounding preferences as desired.
  • Click OK to accept.  Can be edited later.
  • Sorry, “dual” is as high as it goes.  No option for triple other multi dim combos)

Next -

• In the drawing, select the dims you want to change.
  • In the OIP>Units menu (near top)> choose either of the Dual Dimensions options (Stacked or Side by Side).
  • Further down in the OIP>Dual View menu>choose Secondary Only (defaults to Both)
  • Below that click the Sec button (secondary dim) and adjust precision fields as desired.
  • The selected dims respond to the new pref.

OK, post back as needed.

-B

Edited by Benson Shaw
We open at noon
  • Like 1

Thanks? Very thorough... I learned a few things following those steps. I was glad to see (in the dual) there's even an option to show the dimensions in inches... never considered this until this project. But, I need the dimensions to show inches ONLY. I anticipate/hope this could be achieved by creating a separate dimension standard? Then I'd only need to select the dimension(s) that set to show inches ONLY? Or am I hoping for too much?

Hoping, too much, I think, for this control without using the Dual standard. It’s a longstanding gripe on these forums.  But, I think you can achieve your goal with a simple adjustment  

In a dual dimension’s OIP you have choice to show both dim modes (side by side or over/under), primary only, or secondary only. Sounds like you have pref for Both, which shows feet&inches plus, in brackets, inches (ya know, dual).  In the OIP dropdown, choose instead the show Secondary only. This disables/hides the Inches&Feet (primary) part. 

If you made the conversion for the selection, and all your dims show both modes, select all of them again, and change the OIP pref so that only the secondary (Inches) is displayed. 

Or did i miss your intent?

-B

Edited by Benson Shaw
  • Like 1