concepts & working drawings

I would like to know (a general concensus) on using Vectorworks as a concept tool rather than Sketchup. I generated a 3D conceptual model in VW. with Renderworks for the first time. My client was impressed and bought the whole project. My question is two fold. Could I acheive similar results in sketch-up and then transfered the information to VW to start the working drawings? Secondly since I did my concepts in VW and don't need all the rendering information (furniture, etc.) should I start a new set and import only what I need from the concepts?

Here's my two cents (others will add their own, I'm sure): Your first question: use the software YOU are most comfortable with. Either of them will give great results for conceptual renderings, etc. Your second question: I haven't tried it yet, but there is a brand new VW's / SketchUp translator (in VW's 12xx). Third (you called it second): There is really no reason to trash your concept file, but you will probably need to devise a method of class/layer structure which allows you to toggle specific items on and off. I do this more or less for every project. HTH's...

Peter,

I tried to do the concept in sketchup, it seemed to be wasting time when I could already have part of the work finished in VW. The draw back would be if the work didn't produce a viable (working) project. So my concern was if there would be less wasted time using Sketchup as opposed to VW. There is added time to importing Sketchup to VW and converting items to usable VW objects. Thanks for your input.

I always use Sketchup for conceptual design, not because of the possibility that it won't turn into a viable project but because I don't have the patience to do 3D work in VW. Since you do have that ability, I would say Sketchup is probably not for you.

I think the Sketchup model is inferior in many ways. As the name implies, it's intended for quick sketches, of the sort that we formerly did with corrugated cardboard. I haven't tried the plug-in, and haven't tried importing an SU export into VW as a 3D model. I do construction drawings in 2D, and there's definitely some time lost in adapting the SU 2D exports for 2D construction drawings. They consist of a million tiny little lines, broken at every intersection, all the same layer and lineweight, and many of them are lines that I wouldn't want in the 2D drawing.

But Sketchup definitely is quick, and fun. I usually spend 4 to 8 hours modelling a building in Sketchup, complete with material colors, door and window mullions, interior partitions and some furniture. I like the fact that you're always viewing the model in 3D as you work on it, and that you can move around as much as you want because it has good travelling tools and there's no regeneration time. I can sit with a client and alter the model while we discuss it.

It may depend partly on how you approach design. VW 3D, if I understand it correctly, excels at drawing a plan whose walls have an implied height, and then later looking at the resulting 3D and doing something about the massing. Sketchup lends itself more to designing the massing primarily and finding some way to fit spaces into it.

I also use Sketchup during construction drawings to study any problem area such as where beams and ducts are competing for tight space or where odd roof shapes and walls come together and it's hard to visualize what happens.

If you've already tried Sketchup and can stand to live without it, I think that answers the question. I've never known anyone before who wasn't immediately addicted to it. Maybe that's the real reason why we use it.

[ 01-08-2006, 12:15 AM: Message edited by: jan15 ]

Thanks Jan15,

You are right about the regeneration time. That part is time consuming. I too, like working with sketch-up. I do construction drawings in VW and find that the 3D is a side benefit. A benefit I can use as concepts and hopefully be one step closer to having a start on my construction drawings. I'm just curious as to my views on how to use VW effectively. My goal is to use all the tools available to me and efficiently use my time. I appreciate everyones views on this subject. Since there's many ways to "skin a cat". I'll keep doing what I've been doing.