Text Styles should have "Color by Class" option

Isaac Anderson

Question

5 answers to this question

Not sure if this solves your issue, but you can set a class “use at creation” and your text will inherit those class properties if the text object’s attributes are set to byclass.

This effectively lets you move text objects to different classes and have their background and pen update per the class settings, though your text will then be “unstyled” if that matters.

2 hours ago, jeff prince said:

Not sure if this solves your issue, but you can set a class “use at creation” and your text will inherit those class properties if the text object’s attributes are set to byclass.

This effectively lets you move text objects to different classes and have their background and pen update per the class settings, though your text will then be “unstyled” if that matters.

The issue I am trying to prevent is what you outlined here: Text styles are required to have a pen color and cannot automatically be colored by class while still remaining a "styled" text object. For example:

Write text with a Text Style (IE Arial Narrow 6pt Center Center). The text has the default color of the text style. Move the text object into a class with a purple pen. The text will assume the attributes of the class. Change the text style to something else (yet with the same pen because there is no option for color by class, like Arial Narrow 8pt Center Center). The text will become the color of the text style's pen rather than the class it is in. Extra steps are needed to correct this every time.

Hope that helps

29 minutes ago, Isaac Anderson said:

The issue I am trying to prevent is what you outlined here: Text styles are required to have a pen color and cannot automatically be colored by class while still remaining a "styled" text object. For example:

Write text with a Text Style (IE Arial Narrow 6pt Center Center). The text has the default color of the text style. Move the text object into a class with a purple pen. The text will assume the attributes of the class. Change the text style to something else (yet with the same pen because there is no option for color by class, like Arial Narrow 8pt Center Center). The text will become the color of the text style's pen rather than the class it is in. Extra steps are needed to correct this every time.

Hope that helps

I understand what you mean, hitting all attributes byclass fixes it instead of having to edit the text style as you originally stated.

• Like 1
On 4/12/2022 at 12:22 AM, jeff prince said:

I understand what you mean, hitting all attributes byclass fixes it instead of having to edit the text style as you originally stated.

Hi,

I second the wish for setting text styles to use colour by class. I found that selecting the text entity, and then setting 'all attributes by class' will set the text to un-styled. This creates a rather cumbersome workflow. 

• Like 1
On 5/9/2023 at 10:25 AM, Ffuuzzyyllooggiicc said:

I second the wish for setting text styles to use colour by class. I found that selecting the text entity, and then setting 'all attributes by class' will set the text to un-styled. This creates a rather cumbersome workflow. 

Late to the party...

Bumping this.

This should be the way Text Styles Works now in 2024.