Workgroup references.

ama.ny

Hi-

We are trying to figure out the referencing capabilities of vectorworks. We have successfully referenced a file and updated it, and cropped it in a sheet layer with new info over the top. My question is whether or not it is possible to snap to these referenced files so we can use a base or "master" file which can be updated throughout the team and also be able to do a RCP or enlarged plan or furniture layout or something over the base(referenced) file accurately. There is probably an easy answer to this question. we are driving ourselves nuts though. By the way, we have VW11

Thanks

Welcome aboard.

As you've noticed, the referenced layer is a design layer. I'd recommend a couple of keys:

1) DON'T do anything directly on the referenced layer. . .the one(s) that appears on the layer list in italics. Any edits you might try on the referenced layer will disappear the next time the layer is updated from the master file. This includes everything, even rotation.

2) Create a layer link on the layer (I'll call it the editing layer) you want to add objects. The layer link can then be rotated or moved about as needed, and will serve as the base over which you can draw. The link will automatically adjust to the editing layer's scale and will be accurate.

Then, when such additional drawing as req'd is complete, simply create a Viewport that shows the desired portion of the editing layer, as normal.

Good luck,

[ 11-17-2005, 01:16 AM: Message edited by: Travis ]