Existing Tree Tool and proposed Plant Tool = "Plant Tool"

yasin2ray

Question

Existing Tree Tool (goal: integrate inventory, design, and plan implementation)

• Separate tree genera from species so that trees can be analyzed at the genera level. They are currently one field. 
  • Create a link between an existing tree and its new transplant location (maintain the history of the tree on the site); clicking on the original location would highlight the proposed location; deleting a tree that is linked to a transplant location would result in a warning), 
  • Existing Tree Maintenance: define a maintenance task (for example: prune or treatment needed), assign it to a tree, assign it to a servicer, and track the completion status of the task (maintenance done, servicer, date, notes). 
  • Make the drop-down lists in the OIP (condition, action, etc) editable by the user so we can add our own selections. For example, we’d like to edit the options for Condition to match the system/key used by the particular arborist on the project (and the changes do not revert when the file is closed.) 
  • Existing Tree Tool and proposed Plant Tool should actually be ONE tool: Plant Tool. Then define whether it is existing or proposed. Proposed plants can then be marked as Existing after they have been planted (This is very important for both multi-year and phased projects) 
  • Expand existing tree tool functionality (or the new Plant Tool) so that it can also be used to inventory shrubs and other types of plants (an "Existing Plant" Tool). 
  • Data associated with a tree should include its history – proposed trees should later become existing trees – this could include: transplant history, tree trimming history. Include an easy way to archive tree records when a tree has been cut down or transplanted. 
  • Tree DBH (diameter at breast height) should always be in inches, regardless of file units. 
  • The symbol size for a tree removed/to be removed should not be required to be the same size as the symbol for a tree to retain. Unfortunately, the size of this circle seems to be internal to the Existing Tree PIO and cannot be changed even when a custom symbol is used.
  • Like 3

2 answers to this question

3 hours ago, yasin2ray said:

Tree DBH (diameter at breast height) should always be in inches, regardless of file units. 

Agree with all your ideas, except for this one.  The user should be able to choose the units, not all countries use inches for DBH.  If I’m working in decimal feet, I should be able to use inches for DBH.  If I’m working in meters, I might want cm or mm, depending on the agency reviewing the information.  Or I could just be crazy and working in feet & inches yet want my DBH measured in parsecs 🙂

• Like 1
17 hours ago, jeff prince said:

Agree with all your ideas, except for this one.  The user should be able to choose the units, not all countries use inches for DBH.  If I’m working in decimal feet, I should be able to use inches for DBH.  If I’m working in meters, I might want cm or mm, depending on the agency reviewing the information.  Or I could just be crazy and working in feet & inches yet want my DBH measured in parsecs 🙂

Fair point - I agree the unit should be appropriate for the county. In the US... it should be inches, not feet and inches.

• Like 1