Assigning Data to Objects - Tips

Rans

Hi Pat,

Thank you for responding - appreciated. 

I think the overall total length of many polylines (steel edging types eg SE & SRE - see attached) in drawing would be great to have in a report for pricing purposes. 

Eventually if I could include the total of other landscape areas (see attached) in the report also, that would be perfect. I hope this is clear?

I've looked around online to try and work out how do this, but didn't have much luck. I thought I would try my luck on the forum to get a clearer direction; the forum has been really helpful.

Screen_Shot_2022-03-01_at_10.00.18_am.jpg

In a database row of a worksheet specifying the polylines you are interested in a forumla of =Perim will return the overall length of the polyline. If it is closed it includes the distance from the last vertex to the first. If it is not closed then it does not include the distance from the last vertex to the first.

Are you using polygons for the landscape areas or are you using the Vectorworks Landscape Area object?

Do you need more help on setting up a database row in a worksheet?

Let's take a step back and talk about this.

1. Since you are using polygons for the landscape areas that makes it easier. But since if you fillet a corner of a polygon it becomes a polyline you are going to need some other way to distinguish between the two types of objects. I recommend either putting them in different classes (easiest) or attaching a record with fields specifying which type of object or attaching different records to the different types of objects.

2. Create a database row with a criteria of Class Is 'replace with your class name' and a second criteria of Type is Polyline.  If you have items with only corner vertices instead of curves you will also need a third line of Type is Polygon.

3. In Column A of the database header row click on the disclosure triangle and set the pulldowns in the dialog box to:  Functions. : Objects-General : Perim

image.png.60f0dbc4429658b468e69342a51421e4.png

You should now have the length of each curve separately in a subrow for each separate polyline/polygon that are in that class.

You can either now may a separate worksheet or just create a second database row in the same worksheet.  Criteria Class is 'you landscape area class name here' Type is Polyline,  Type is Polygon.

In the database header row for column A set the formula to Functions : Objects-General : Area. 

You will now have a subrow for each object in the landscape area class.

Ask again if you need more help.