V12, tiles no longer work and other various questions...

designMARK

Hello Board,

I'm a VectorWorks Landmark user since 9.5. Just got my upgrade not too long ago to 12. For some reason, I can't get tile to work anymore. I've installed my copy of landmark to my laptop and home computer just to test the tile function, and it does not work on any of the three. Vectorworks says it works as it processes the command, but... no tile. Does anyone have a workaround?

Also, I enjoy tracing bitmap scans of preliminary design concepts and have done this with almost every design I do since I purchsed VW four years ago. With each release I hold my breath hoping working with large image files would get faster. Often, tracing a bitmap is painfully slow waiting for redraws with every pan, zoom, and drawing command. I now am the proud owner of a very fast dual-core opteron based system with raid, 2gigs of ram, high-end graphics card, etc - I can't hardly notice a difference dealing with bitmaps than my "old" 2.0 ghz machine with 512 megs of ram. In fact, I almost think V12 is slower than 11.5. Anyone have any ideas on how to speed the snail up? As a side note AutoCAD is smoking fast on my new machine... but I just love VW more... (frown).

And lastly... I just got done "translating" an AutoCAD 2005 file. I can't believe how slow VW re-draws the file with every command - just as slow as working with a bitmap. I re-imported it no less than five times trying to work with different settings to speed it up. No dice. The file is not "huge" but did have over 30 layers and several blocks of trees, shrubs, and hatchs. But nothing major. Again, I swear 11.5 is faster at that as well. Any help there?