dxf/dwg imports & line styles

I notice that when I import a dxf/dwg file from a surveyor, the line styles (dashes, dots, etc) of the import appear in the palette replacing the standard VWA dots and dashes, and strangely, when I place an overhead (garage) door, the overhead lines are chain dashed (2 dots and a dash), not ordinary dashed.

Why does this happen, and how can I keep my VW styles?

David W

Auckland, NZ

VWA 11.5.1

17"iMac, 512MB RAM

I usually import any DWG into a temporary file, and then cut and paste what I want into a clean VW file.

If I want to keep more than one layer, I paste each one separately, using Paste-In-Place to keep the layers in register.

The pasting also purges. The import file usually has a few hundred unused classes and a few thousand unused symbol definitions, but only the ones that are in use get pasted into the clean file.

When you paste in, the dash styles of the new stuff are just added to the ones already in the file.

Thank you both for your advice, which I shall follow immediately.

I think I'll create an new empty file and use it as a template each time. Then I can import to that, and cut & paste just the info. I need. These imported files come with so much baggage, it's unbelievable.

Regards

David W

Auckland, NZ

VWA 11.5.1

17"iMac, 512MB RAM