Make color could be use as a Ressource.

Silverhawk

Question

Hi,

I don't really understand why color is not treated as resources as such. If i apply the same color through different classes or ressources is because i want it appear like this. If for one of those or an object i want to change the appearance, i do it from the color panel object or from the classes or ressources configuration.

In my case i use to use my own color palette, i create myself, and if i think one of my blue too dark or too light and i change it into my color palette, it doesn't follow into all my classes or resources configurations and it seems to me inexplicable...(And this is the same trouble if i change the name of the color).

thanks for reading 🙂

An if somebody have a plug-in to do so it will be very nice to share 😛

François

• Like 1

3 answers to this question

I don't know which version of Vectorworks you're using but if it is VW21 or VW22 you can use Materials to deal with half of your issue at least: colours can be applied to objects using Material resources + then when you edit the Material (change the colour or edit the name) the changes will be applied to all objects that Material is assigned to. It doesn't help with classes however, although I believe the ability to apply Materials to classes has been asked for elsewhere...

Thanks, 

And yep i know the trick, but my thought is more a général question... It's seems colors tools have been lost into the past... Almost everything is treated as "ressource stuff"(what i think agree everyone), but color don't... It's like to me we forget color is the originel point of rendering...

FM

On 2/2/2022 at 12:37 AM, Silverhawk said:

Hi,

I don't really understand why color is not treated as resources as such. If i apply the same color through different classes or ressources is because i want it appear like this. If for one of those or an object i want to change the appearance, i do it from the color panel object or from the classes or ressources configuration.

In my case i use to use my own color palette, i create myself, and if i think one of my blue too dark or too light and i change it into my color palette, it doesn't follow into all my classes or resources configurations and it seems to me inexplicable...(And this is the same trouble if i change the name of the color).

thanks for reading 🙂

An if somebody have a plug-in to do so it will be very nice to share 😛

François

We have a library of single colour gradients in our library for this reason until they stopped playing well with transparency. 

Also colour as a resource should have alpha as part of of setting. 

It could be a single resource that combines Image,Colour,Gradient that can then be used in other applicable locations included textures. 

• Like 2