Updated to 2022 and plant sizes have changed

Bluedog04

Question

I updated from 2021 to 2022 and when I try to use plants from a saved file or favorites they take on the size of the previous plant used.  All of the plants in templates are 1g plants all of a sudden and even when I save as a new template the plants are still defaulted to 1g plants.  They also automatically show the tag and I had those all turned off.  Any idea why this would happen or how I could fix it? It's terrible to change the size of every plant before I place it and turn off every tag.

3 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Bluedog04,

VW2022 has added an option for plant parameters to be 'by instance' or 'by style'. What I think is happening is plants in your library have spread and height set by instance. You have to make them 'by style' so when you load a new plant from the dialog it brings the data set by style with it.

You need to use a script to fix this problem. This script will open a dialog from which you can choose to change the value of a parameter or make a parameter be "by style" or "by instance". In your case, you can make the parameters be by style. So when you change the style from tool, the values will always be taken from it.

Please follow these steps:

1. Create a new script using the function: MassEditPlantStyle('changeStyling_ByStyle=true');
  2. Start the Plant tool and choose a style.
  3. Run the script and select the parameters to be by style or change the value of the parameter.
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Right. It is an issue in SP2 only and has been caused by another change. More specifically, the issue is that when a Plant Style's property is set 'by instance' then the Plant being created takes its value from the Plant Tool Preferences (Plant defaults) rather than the style.

It is actually a problematic behavior (internal ref VB-184074) except for the Tag properties.
(for more details: https://forum.vectorworks.net/index.php?/topic/90306-plant-tool-seriously-messed-up-in-vw2022-please-fix/)

This issue is already fixed for the upcoming SP2.1 update targeted for mid-January.